1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Can we study on H4 status? Or need to change to F1?

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by josh, Aug 24, 2006.

1. minaximayank

minaximayank New IL'ite

Hi,

I am also on H4 and want to come on F1 to study, so that I can get OPT. But MS courses are very expensive, almost 30-35 thousand dollars. Can anyone tell me if I'll do a certification course from a community college with 45 credits, even then I can get opt?
    Also, I came to know about University in Northern Virginia. Over there MS is less expensive and they said that they'll give me OPT also. Does anyone know about this university? Because I live in Bellevue, Washington and I'll be doing online course from this university.
    Any help in this matter is really appreciated.

Thanks a lot!!!

2. minaximayank

minaximayank New IL'ite

Re: Can we study in H4 status?

Hi Shal,

I am on H4 and want to come on F1 to get the OPT. Do u have any idea if I'll be able to get the OPT if I do a Certification course from a community college?

Thanks!!

3. srivip

srivip New IL'ite

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]Hi All,

I am currently on my H4, and my husband is on his H1.His H1 would be valid until 2013 apprx and same is wid my H4 visa.
    I am actually willing to pursue my MS here in FL may be by this year end i.e dec 2011..It would be almost 1 year after I come to Florida.

My questions are:

1)If I pursue my MS on H4, will I be applicable for OPT or CPT?

2)Is it better for me to go for H4 to F1 conversion or is it risky?

3)If I complete my MS on my H4 ,will I be applicable for special category MS students for H1B application or the H1B lottery that takes place every year?

4)Will I be eligible for the instate tuition fee if am on my H4 for a year exactly from the time I arrived in Florida and is the rule still existing coz the tuition fees are too high for F1 and other visa types?

5)How long does the conversion from H4 to F1 take?

6)I heard that there would be many stamping issues for this type of conversion so very few people choose it?

7)After the completion of my MS on H4 visa,can I apply for H1B visa under both special category for MS students and a general category for all other H1B filings?
    8) Do i need to give gre and toefl?
    9) what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing ms on h4?
    10) are we eligible for tax benefits if we file jointly if i do ms on h4 or f1?
    Appreciate your help...I have looked up the forum but some answers seems to be very much confusing...and am running out of time as well for university deadlines

thanks
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

4. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Glad to hear that you want to do your MS. It is better to meet with University Officials than looking for answers form us. I live in California. Most of the H4 ladies go to college. The tution system is different.

Make an appointment with University and take all the papers. They will help you . Take down the notes.

Good luck. :)

CL

5. Subhaganesh

Subhaganesh Gold IL'ite

Gallo I gave same doubts like u. Please help on this. If you get an idea about it.
    am currently on my H4, and my husband is on his H1.His H1 would be valid until 2013 apprx and same is wid my H4 visa.
    I am actually willing to pursue my MS here in FL may be by this year end i.e dec 2011..It would be almost 1 year after I come to Florida.

My questions are:

1)If I pursue my MS on H4, will I be applicable for OPT or CPT?

2)Is it better for me to go for H4 to F1 conversion or is it risky?

3)If I complete my MS on my H4 ,will I be applicable for special category MS students for H1B application or the H1B lottery that takes place every year?

4)Will I be eligible for the instate tuition fee if am on my H4 for a year exactly from the time I arrived in Florida and is the rule still existing coz the tuition fees are too high for F1 and other visa types?

5)How long does the conversion from H4 to F1 take?

6)I heard that there would be many stamping issues for this type of conversion so very few people choose it?

7)After the completion of my MS on H4 visa,can I apply for H1B visa under both special category for MS students and a general category for all other H1B filings?
    8) Do i need to give gre and toefl?
    9) what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing ms on h4?
    10) are we eligible for tax benefits if we file jointly if i do ms on h4 or f1?
    Appreciate your help...I have looked up the forum but some answers seems to be very much confusing...and am running out of time as well for university deadlines

thanks[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

6. arunasunder

arunasunder New IL'ite

Hi Suja,
    I am interested in pursuing my masters in electrical engineering.I am currently on a H4 visa. I have given my GRE and Toefl and planning to apply to UIC.
    1.) Regarding In-state: what kind of documents the1 generally require to establish it
    2.) When is the right time to convert from H4 to F1 (if i need to apply for internship) and how is it done
    3.) I would like to know what are the other prospective universities you would advise or consider

Thanks,
    Aruna

7. himanisaluja

himanisaluja New IL'ite

What documents are needed for COS to f1?

8. himanisaluja

himanisaluja New IL'ite

What should the cover letter say in COS application

9. Mobeena

Mobeena New IL'ite

Hi Suja,

I found the information you shared to be very helpful & had few question, i will appreciate if you can help me out.

I have moved to Westmont, IL in Jan 2012 from India, i did my BCA (Bachelo of Computer apllication in India) & a Part time Masters / MBA from Andhra Universitiy in HR. before moving to US i worked in HSBC retail services for 4 years.

With this background, now i plan to pursue an MS in Accounting / MBA in HR in US.

Can you pls. help with the initial steps i need to take to get started, also if you can through some light on colleges near by which i can visit will be very helpful as you have lived in Westmont,IL & i live at the same place.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mobeena

10. swethanandan

swethanandan New IL'ite

Hi Shal,
    I recently got married and moved to USA about 3 months back. I did my UG in India and did a MBA in GM through distance education in India. I am looking forward to do an MS in HR as well.. Can you give me other details as to how to go about it...Is the Tuition fee same for both F1 and H4 visa holders..? I saw that you are currently employed..What about the job Prospects.? Can u help me out..
    Thanx
    Swe