1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Contacting USCIS for visa status

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by Imblessed, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Imblessed

Imblessed Bronze IL'ite

I have applied to convert my visa from H4 to F-1. Its been more than 2 months. I am in the last semester of my MS. I will be ending it in Dec 2013. I have to decide whether I have to take extra courses required for full-time load to be on F-1 or not. I will be completing (in dec only) my regular degree if I do not take extra 2 courses.
    My visa is not yet approved, so I am not sure whether it will be approved or not. So, I need some information, if any of you ladies have ever contacted USCIS regarding visa stuff and how? Do they respond ? Now, I am in a fix.. if I go ahead and register for 2 extra courses, it will be waste of money if I do not get f-1 visa, and if visa gets approved and I am not registered I will lose my visa status ....
    Has anyone ever faced a similar situation ?

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When you applied you should have received a receipt from the USCIS. This receipt contains a case number. You can go the uscis.gov website and enter this number to check your case status. You will see a case status box on the upper left corner of the website. The receipt should also have a phone number and number of days after which you can call the USCIS to get an update on your case.

3. Imblessed

Imblessed Bronze IL'ite

Thank you Gauri ....
    I have applied online. Yes, I do check the status on the website everyday these days.. it just keeps showing under review, in process.. earlier the average time period shown on the website was 2 months now it says 3.7 months.. this wait is frustrating... but I will check the other information of calling them..

4. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

I guess USCIS is getting slow on all visa approvals this time. My DH applied for L1 extension in May and is still waiting. See if it is possible to move your petition to premium. You should get a result in 2 weeks. BTW, have you heard of a potential goverment shutdown soon? USCIS might not be affected but the USPS will be...Im worried too as my application is also pending without me getting a receipt number yet.

5. Imblessed

Imblessed Bronze IL'ite

Hey Thanks Ramya for giving me this information.
    Yes, I have heard of shutdown, but never crossed my mind that it will also probably affect USPS. God, this is other problem. In my case, my whole 2 years MS investment is for getting F-1.
    Yes, I think they are getting late. even my husband's petition is in process. okay, I will also check regarding premium transfer.
    Ladies please let me know whatever information you may know.
    Thanks you !