1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling to US on H1 with Wife Pregnant into 14 weeks

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by thescorpion, Apr 2, 2013.

1. thescorpion

thescorpion New IL'ite

Me and my wife were issued H1 and H4 visa respectively in India recently and we will be traveling to US in a few weeks, mostly by End of May. By then, my wife will be in the 14th week of pregnancy. Now I am all apprehensive about the travel, so thought of checking with you about suggestions/issues if you faced a similar situation in the past.
    I will be working for a new company in US which is into contracting mode of work. Now on the insurance part, I have the option to enroll the company’s group medical insurance however these policies will be effective only after 30 days of my start date with them.
    My queries -
    1) Is there any issue with my wife travelling during this pregnancy? Do I need to get any certificate from the doctor in India
    2) How difficult is to find a doctor and continue the consultation from 14th week onwards
    3) Will the Insurance company provide coverage for the pregnancy related expenses
    4) Is there a chance that the insurance company may not cover this since it’s a pre-existing pregnancy
    5) If Insurance Company will not provide cover, then what are my options here? I am aware of the huge bills without the coverage, what else can be done
    6) Now during the first month where the Insurance will not be covered, are there any Insitutions in US who provides temporary coverage for a month?
    And lastly, any advice or suggestions for a pregnant lady to travel to US for the first time. What are the things she need to take care, and all.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    The Scorpion

2. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

Hi Thescorpion,

Just relax and be not in tension at this time.

Travel:
    If your gynec and your wife are comfortable on flight travel then travelling will not be a problem. As some will get into nausea, bloating for plane travel as you know. And preferably she walk inside the plane rather than sitting for too long. And have as much as water even she needs to go for loo. If available get 2-stop flight so your wife can relax and ease her body.

Getting good ob/gynec in the place where you stay :use ZocDoc site or get the help from your office collegues. It may not be instant available but may take min 2-3 weeks.

Insurance - Yes after 30 days your insurance will process once you join. As your wife is pregnant choose 80 or 90% insurance coverage it means you need to shell out some amount of money every month. THere are PPO and HMO type insurance(refer online for details) basically it depends on what your consulting company is tied up.

You need to add both in insurance. Carry all the documents of your wife's medical records as this require for insurance.

And for the first month if insurance is not ready yet then you can opt for month to month pay . Generally just checkup it takes 250-300$ and Ultrasound(this is must here for first time appoinment) 450-500$. And other tests which are must here like urine sample.,

I would advice your wife just be calm and have water as much and walk inside the plane. And every 2-3 hrs have small meal kind.

3. SSSGupta

SSSGupta Gold IL'ite

Hi The Scorpion,

It's fine to travel n 14th week if ur wife's health s fine. Take ur gyne's suggestion also. If u want relax and comfort , book business class tickets, that will smooth ur journey. nsurance wise u can take plan once u r here or from there too and they will cover ur preganncy and deleivery expenses but it will depend how ur insurance plan is and how much they cover (100 % or 80 % or like this) . It does not matter that pregnancy is pre existing.

hope this helps
    SG

4. thescorpion

thescorpion New IL'ite

Dear Renutn, SSSGupta
    Thank you so much for your replies. I am bit relaxed after seeing your inputs.

I am currently checking with my company’s group insurance company if they will cover the pregnancy. Also what type of cover they providing, PPO or HMO. We are also consulting with our Gynec in India, she is absolutely fine with my wife's travel. She says its not at all a problem.

I think I should go for 2-3 stop journey, preferrably via Europe, so that she can relax a bit during the stop-over time.

Also wanted to know few things

1) Which type of policy is better - PPO or HMO
    2) As an alternate optiion, I am thinking to travel alone to US for first time and my wife will join me one month later. Now during this month, can the insurance be activated for her, without her being present in US
    3) or, can I enroll both of us in the insurance plan from India now?
    4) You mentioned about month to month pay, in absence of coverage. Would you pls provide some details, what is it and how can I enroll

I hope you are fine with all these naive questions, I am not really sure how this insurance thing work out for ladies.

Thanks again for all your help
    thescorpions

5. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    I know you are too panic of the situation...

1. PPO is a good one.. You are able to visit many doctors, with this even when you travel outside from your state with in the US.
    2.If your wife travels another month later, she must be almost 18 + months.. Do you think that she wil be able to travel alone, if this is her very first trip??
    3.She must be here as far as the insurance is taken into count.
    4. Am not sure , as we have insurance from my DH s office

I too traveled during my 25th week of my pregnany from US to India.. The airlines would allow until 26 week from here.. They made a mess in the airport when we went to board, even though i was not at my 26 week.. Better talk to your airline prior booking and travel... I also had my fitness note from my doctor..

1 person likes this.
  6. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

hi
    I have mentioned earlier if your consulting compANY tied up with a specific type then you need to take that one It doesn't matter PPO or HMO. We had exp of both PPO and HMO. Just get it. Both does basic same functionality. Refer online for more details.
    Month to month pay you can check with clinic (gynec office)

On ur wife's travel it is upto u guys to decide
    Hope i don't sound rude
    I just gave u an highlight u need to dig more once u r here

7. thescorpion

thescorpion New IL'ite

Dear Renutn
    you are not sounding rude, rather its helpful
    I checked with my company and the company’s group insurance provider, I came to know the plan is - CEHIT-Aetna PPO medical plan.
    • $500 deductible
    • $25 office visit co-pay (not subject to deductible)
    • 80% in-network coinsurance; 50% out-of-network coinsurance
    And also their reply to my questions on coverage
    • Coverage is effective the first of the month following the hire date entered on your enrollment forms.
    • Coverage for dependents listed on the initial enrollment form would be the same as for the employee. Coverage for dependents enrolled after the employee’s enrollment would be the first of the month following the date of the qualifying event (such as lost of coverage because moved to U.S.).
    • Pregnancy is not considered a pre-existing condition for purposes of a waiting period.
    • You can enroll your wife on your initial enrollment form even if she has not moved to the U.S. However, coverage outside the U.S. is limited to emergency and urgent care only.
    So does it mean the plan will provide coverage in different US states, since I will be travelling because of the consulting nature, and the maternity is covered?
    Regarding me, I was in US for 3 years. So do have a driving license and SSN. But it will be first time for my wife. So I am bit worried for her. And I am bit hazy when it comes to insurance the way it works in US
    Sorry if my questions are naïve. But all your suggestions/comments have definitely helped me.
    Best regards
    Thescorpions

8. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

Outside the US means like Hawaii where emergency and urgent care were reimbursed.
    If you have a insurance usually for period of 12 months that will be used anywhere in the states of US. If you are traveling different cities inside US- insurance takes care. Hope atleast till your wife delivers you can stick into some city (this makes sense)

9. thescorpion

thescorpion New IL'ite

Thank a lot Renutn
    Appreciate your help.

Thanks