1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Working from home US on H4 for Indian company

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by sapnahthakkar, Sep 11, 2012.

1. sapnahthakkar

sapnahthakkar New IL'ite

I am currently working in software company in India, I will be going to US next year on H4 visa. My company is ready to allow work from home from US. But wanted to confirm if it is legal? As I wont be earning in dollars but will get Indian salary. Is there any official site that states this is allowed? Waiting for response. Thanks in advance

2. Divyavignesh

Divyavignesh Gold IL'ite

Hi sapna,

Even i will be going to US on H4 dependent visa soon, Unfortunately you cannot work in the dependent visa be it indian company or anything else. I am also working here should quit my job and go.

3. sapnahthakkar

sapnahthakkar New IL'ite

Thanks Divya for the quick response. This is really sad. What are you planning to do to get busy after you shift there?

4. RamyaST

RamyaST Silver IL'ite

Hi Divya/Sapna,

I am on H4 visa and moved to US 5 months back, still struggling to find some online or free lance job. Though i have 5 yrs of IT exp here it is of no help. Atlast i am planning to get partnership with youtube so that i can post videos n get money based on views. Not sure how its gng to work out. If u have any idea pls share it.

Ramya :)

5. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

I'm not sure if that is allowed, but hope it is. I came here 6 months back, and looking for H1 sponsor jobs but no luck yet.

6. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Actually you can work. But you should not be paid anything that needs an IRS reporting. In other words, if your Indian company pays to you in India, not in US, you can work. All H4 is expected not to be paid in US. Check it out with your local CPA.

7. indieMan

indieMan New IL'ite

Not sure if the Ladies with the queries got the resolution, but, as per my understanding, if you are working for a company in India, and are going to be paid in INR - the salary to be deposited in a bank account in India, India's IT returns need to be filed.
    Wherever you are, depending on where you earn, you need to report and file tax returns and may be pay the tax. Check with a Chartered Accountant in India who may have experience with such dealings
    - speak as per personal experience here
    Hope this helps