1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Simple Tips to Beat PMS Food Cravings

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by coolblues, Nov 6, 2012.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

b2048de9s043924.jpg

Most women experience Pre Menstural Syndrome (PMS) with many symptoms. Bodily symptoms may include sleeplessness, bloating, physical exhaustion, moodiness and food cravings. Around 80% of women go overboard giving into the PMS food cravings. The last two weeks before menstruation is a vulnerable time frame, when the estrogen hormones trigger cravings to eat ice cream, chocolates, salty chips, pickles, donuts, cheese cake and what not. The always-powerful will power wavers and crumbles to the food craving! Are there ways to fight such food cravings during PMS? Here are some healthy options to manage PMS cravings.

Keep Yourself Full: Since craving for carbohydrates will peak at this time, make a healthy choice of sticking with foods that are complex in carbohydrates. Whole grain bread, brown rice, wheat pasta, oats, boiled potatoes and muesli are some examples that fall under this category.

Bloat Less: The prime food culprit that causes bloating during PMS is the intake of salty foods, caffeine, carbonated beverages and processed foods that are high in salt and sugar. Keep sipping water to hydrate your body and to reduce bloating.

Increase Serotonin: Studies indicate that there are higher chances of women overeating during PMS. Simple solution is to increase the production of serotonin, a brain chemical which is a mood and weight regulator. Increase in serotonin is seen to reduce moodiness and overeating. Banana, plums, pineapple, cherries, dark chocolate and low-fat icecream are some good snack options.

Eat Often: Cut back on the cravings by splitting three large meals into six smaller ones, which will help to manage the spike in blood sugar levels.

Do you have food cravings as part of PMS? What foods do you crave for?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    12 people like this.

2. Sindhurak

Sindhurak Platinum IL'ite

One more added info.. If you are facing pain in abdomin at the time of periods, Massage with sesame oil bellow the novel almost 3 days before U get periods.. It will reduce the pain and eventually it stops the pain after 3 r 4 months..

2 people like this.
  3. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

I have seen that i crave for ultra spicy and chocolate during this time :(

1 person likes this.
  4. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

I crave for junk food like potato chips, chocolates.

5. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

I think I should watch it next time. I don't remember any craving particularly at that time...... But I do long for a helping hand in doing the chores......

4 people like this.
  6. rsmadras

rsmadras Bronze IL'ite

Hi very good tips cool blues thanks for sharing.

After reading this only I observed myself that I really crave for hot and spicy chips and chocolates during

PMS!!! I ll watch out for this !!!

Getting pain during periods can be avoided by taking fibre rich foods and more water at least one week before periods.

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Good tips in here, coolblues.

My cravings differ each month..from cheese snacks to anything sugary. :-(

I had cravings for chocolate and potato chips earlier...but I completely rooted them out from my menu...
    I am still surprised how I did that..

Sriniketan

8. bhuvisrini

bhuvisrini Gold IL'ite

I tempted to eat more sweets, food and spicy items :(. PMS sucks me a lot I feel lazy,bloated,upset,depression, angry, tensed always, insecurity, negative thinking ahh what not. Now am reading and trying to overcome from it.

9. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

when i tell my DH that i get these cravings for chocolates he doesnt believe me...its good to see that i am not alone with these kind of cravings

1 person likes this.
  10. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

HI,
    I crave for salty things.
    I just keep eating pickles.
    In case I have to go out during these times, I am so irritated.
    And in case something goes wrong.I am just so angry.
    Like last time I just threw a thing and broke.
    its high time I have to take care of it.And reading this post clams me that there are many facing similar
    symptoms. Thanks OP.

1 person likes this.