1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

PCOS- Weight Gain

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by anniekarun, Apr 3, 2012.

1. drsurabhijain

drsurabhijain Silver IL'ite

<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="97%"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="top">hey all,

many questions about PCOS...lets see what it is ???
    Weight loss has been the major recommendation by physicians for women with PCOS. Lifestyle modifications including stress reduction, exercise, and group support, along with a decrease in total energy intake, have had positive results. A weight decrease of only 5% of total body weight is associated with decreased insulin levels, increased fertility, reduced hirsutism and acne, and lower free testosterone levels.
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" height="12" valign="top">[​IMG]</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" valign="top">Women with PCOS can lower their risk of developing diabetes and heart disease by exercising and eating a healthy diet. However, some women with PCOS have trouble shedding their extra pounds.

Sticking to a special diet is a very important aspect of PCOS care. Some women with PCOS find success by reducing their total intake of carbohydrates (cereals, breads, pastas) and choosing to eat different types of carbohydrates that are less processed (whole wheat, brown rice, beans). Replacing manufactured carbohydrate products with whole grains, fruits and vegetables can help to reduce your insulin response. The diet also should include enough protein to control the amount of sugar in the blood.

According to many studies, women with PCOS can improve their insulin resistance just with moderate activity. Even if you exercise and don't lose weight, you are still reaping very important health benefits. Exercise has been shown to improve use of insulin and can support dietary interventions to promote weight loss; it is important that the exercise program chosen is enjoyable for the PCOS woman.

Any more information is needed....

Thanks

Dr Surabhi

</td></tr></tbody></table>

2. abigavas

abigavas Bronze IL'ite

Hai i too have pcos..iam overweight also.my doctor advise is

for daily:

1.Metformin 850 mg twise
    2.diet + 1.5 Hour exercise

metformin+Diet+walking i have reduced 10 kgs in 3 month.

i got married 2 years before..and trying for baby.

Thanks,
    Abinaya.

2 people like this.
  3. boons

boons Bronze IL'ite

hI,

CINNAMON POWDER + DRY GINGER(SUKHU PODI) POWDER IN HONEY AND HOT WATER IN EMPTY STOMACH HELPS REGULARISE PERIODS. (NOT FOR NEWLY MARRIED, TRYING TO GET PREGNANT WOMEN)ALSO CINNAMON REDUCES CHOLESTROL AND IT HELPS IN WEIGHT LOSS.

I HAVE FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE AND GOOGLED ABOUT IT AND IT IS GIVEN THAT CINNAMON S BLOOD THINNER AND THATS HOW THE CLOTS OF THE PERIODS GETS DILUTED( MY ASSUMPTION) ..BEFORE TAKING THIS, PL CONSULT AN AYURVEDIC DOCTOR.

4. happyn25

happyn25 Bronze IL'ite

Can you please share a diet plan for pcos , a lot of diet plans are available online but its generally suitable for the westerners.Not much information on how we can adapt it according to your indian taste.
    I took medication from different doctors for pcos. but didnt find much fruitful effects.
    Now I am married and soon planning to have a baby .So would like to know , how can i control pcos by dietary and lifestyle modifications

5. Priyarajam

Priyarajam Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I was avoiding rice in night and try to substitute it with wheat, but if wheat also has to be avoided then what shall i do?

Someone also told me that having ragi in the night will increase sugar content. Can anyone please suggest me other alternatives for dinner..

thanks

6. Priyarajam

Priyarajam Senior IL'ite

Thats good, even i wanted to make this request..

Recently an aunt told me to have valaikai and valaithandu often (banana flower and stem).. pomegranate with its white skin is also good it seems..

7. abigavas

abigavas Bronze IL'ite

iam suffering from pcos since my 12th std.iam so worring and tensed.iam trying for baby also..
    i reduced 10 kg and taking metformin.my problem is iam not ovulating.

let we see what will happens.

frnds.......my suggn is having dinner at 7 pm is reduce sugar levels and helps to regulate hormone.

1.morning 2 glass of water with lime juce without sugar and salt.

2.dont use coconut anywhere in your food.

3. you can take cooked white rice or dosa or idly onetime a day remaining 2 times you should take ragi or wheet.NOTE: dont use more than 2 spoons of ragi.

4.drink more water.

5.take green color veg more.

6.avoid root veg like potato,beetroot

7.to induce ovalution take tulsi,cucumber,garlic,batham in your first 14 or 15 days.

8.take boiled egg white.

9.take an apple with butter milk every day.

10.avoid sugar ,salt and fried items.

thanks,
    Abi...............

8. abigavas

abigavas Bronze IL'ite

Diet for Menstrual Problems and PCOS

The diet to cure Menstrual Problems should definitely include a variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts etc.

Vegetables juices like that of parsley, beetroot, cucumber, tomato, carrot are highly beneficial home remedies for Menstrual Problems.
    Regular consumption of parsley juice helps in dealing with menstrual irregularities and pains. Having unripe papaya is also useful reducing Menstrual Problems caused by stress. White pumpkin, papaya, bitter gourd, drumstick and other such vegetables help to reduce abnormal menstrual pains.

Besides, restrict the consumption of fatty foods to avoid bloating, cramps etc associated with menstruation. Consumption of meat and poultry products should also be reduced. Plus, stay away from packaged and processed foods prepared from white floor and excess sugar because they are high in carbohydrates.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 461.25pt; HEIGHT: 313.5pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_7 type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata cropright="3256f" cropleft="13759f" cropbottom="4761f" croptop="16804f" o:title="" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\0005389\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

9. happyn25

happyn25 Bronze IL'ite

Hello frds ,
    thanks for the suggestion .I have found a pdf file of one of the famous diet books for pcos, u can also have a look
    type "pcos book pdf" in google.
    you will find The Natural Diet Solution for PCOS and Infertility , the 2nd item in search results.
    u can download it and refer. for good info on pcos.

do also share your experiences with pcos and how your treating it , it will help us to learn from each other s experiences

10. abigavas

abigavas Bronze IL'ite

பாலி சிஸ்டிக் ஓவரி”, என்று தெரிந்தால், செய்ய வேண்டியது எல்லாம், உணவில் நேரடி இனிப்புப் பண்டங்களைத் தவிர்ப்பதும், நார்ச்சத்து நிறைய உள்ள கீரைகள், லோ கிளைசிமிக் (Low Glycemic foods) உணவுகள் அதிகம் எடுத்துக் கொள்வதும் தான்.

இது தவிர பூண்டுக் குழம்பு, எள்ளுத் துவயல், கருப்புத் தொலி உளுந்து சாதமும் ஹார்மோன்களைச் சீராக்கி இந்த PCOD பிரச்சினையை தீர்க்க உதவிடும். சுடுசாதத்தில், வெந்தய பொடி 1 ஸ்பூன் அளவில் போட்டு மதிய உணவை எடுத்துக் கொள்வதும் நல்லது.
    மாதவிடாய் வரும் சமயம் அதிக வயிற்று வலி உள்ள மகளிர் எனில் சோற்றுக் கற்றாழையின் மடலினுள் உள்ள, ஜெல்லி போன்ற பொருளை இளங்காலையில் இரண்டு மாதம் சாப்பிட்டு வரவேண்டும். சிறிய வெங்காயம் தினசரி 50கிராம் அளவாவது உணவில் சேர்ப்பதும் pcod பிரச்சினையை போக்கிட உதவும்.

Translation:-
    if you found that you have pCOS then the first thing is you should avoid direct sugar snacks.you should eat fiber rich foods like greens,Low Glycemic foods.
    more over you should take garlic gravy,Sesame seeds powder.urad dhal rice.hot boiled rice with fenugreek seeds powder and 50 grams of small onion.