1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Cloth Sanitary Napkin

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by anaconda1997, Nov 15, 2010.

1. anaconda1997

anaconda1997 Senior IL'ite

[​IMG]

.. I started using these ones and i feel so better.. and wanted to share with all of you.. I started making them for me like this. why not try this?

What is cloth pad?

it is an reusable alternative sanitary pad which made by layers of absorbent fabric (eg: cotton) worn during woman menstrual period. they can be reuse by washed and dried it back. It could come with wings or without. and there are many types of cloth pad to suit yourself: pantyliner, medium flow, heavy flow and even night flow!

why choose cloth pad?

As earth become sicker and sicker, we need to aware how to save the earth before it too late!. by using cloth pad is could save earth by hundreds! Cloth pads are environmental friendly because it can be reuse over and over again, and no plastic packaging involve which material can easily composed. less or no chemical used in making cloth pad which result NO MORE smelly down there. it is also breathable, so no more V-odor! it is also customizable to suit your needs and sizes. And you can have different colors and patterns too!! a BIG plus! cloth pad also less likely cause rashes and help women who afflicted with certain vaginitis. For woman who has sensitive and allergy skin, cloth pad definitely help you feel more comfortable to skin. Cloth pad could be expensive at initial (could could you more than rm10) but it is economical for long term used. imagine how much you spend for your pad per month: 10pads x 12 x rm6 = rm720 per year! for cloth pad: rm30 x3 =rm90 per year!

1. How to clean a cloth pad?
    Washing a cloth pad is so easy as how you wash your worn undies.
    First, rinse pad until water runs clear. (Optional: you can also rub stain immediately with salt or soap to remove stain immediately)
    Fold, snap up and store in wetbag (if you are away from home)
    Soak in a small pail and add a few drops of vinegar (as disinfectant) and baking soda (or even salt) if stain persist. Hand wash for longer lasting or toss into washing machine with your undies. Light rubbing (fabric against fabric is fine but remember, DO NOT SCRUB your flannel pad)
    Note: It is more easier to remove stain of a wet and soak pad than a dry pad with chocolate stain on light days. Therefore change frequently if wear a darker color pad on your lighter days. More care tips for cloth pads at http://clothpads.wikidot.com/washing

2. How many hours can a cloth pad last?
    One regular can last between 3-5 hours, on heavy days. However it depends on individual’s menses flow. Change them more frequent if you need to to prevent leakage.

3. Does it smells ?
    Unlike disposable laden with harmful chemical and gel and release chemical fumes when wet, cloth pad is fully made of breathable cloth. You will be surprise to learn that your blood actually does not smell at all!

4. Do cloth pads leak?
    Mama Patch cloth pad (Regular and Night) comes with a “breathable” water barrier layer at the bottom of the pad to prevent leakage. Although water resistant, this breathable water barrier will leak if you do not change for long hours especially during heavy days. Therefore it is advisable to change to fresh pad every 3~6 hours during your heaviest day, depending on individual’s flow.

5.Are cloth pads bulky?
    On contrary, cloth pad is ultra slim as it only contains cloth. Unlike disposable with chemical and gel, cloth feels much more comfortable to skin as compare to sticky soiled disposable.

6. Aren’t our menses blood dirty?
    Our blood is sterile and is not dirty inherently. Blood is easily washed out of cloth. However disposable plastic pads are actually unhealthier because they create a hotter environment (by trapping air and not allowing air flow) which promotes faster growth of bacteria which leads to itch, rashes and thrush.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
    1 person likes this.

2. PPrasath

PPrasath Senior IL'ite

themuteviolin - please dont take it personally
    i am going to comment against your suggestions. hope you are open for my comment too.:hiya

Cloth sanitory napkin for babies are considered OK because they are just water with minerals and they can be sterilised easily and it is economical as it is used round the clock for years together.

But there is a strong suggestion against it for mensural usage and the bodily fluid is blood! even if you wash 10 times it leave stain! esp after it is dried..no one will clean it as soon it gets stained. Might be a best option for people who stay closer to home.

If you are comfortable using it ..please take extra caution to clean it thoroughly and do dispose it after 2-3 usages.

On the top for the fast paced life sanitory napiks are handy, makes life easy and now a days there are many which comes as eco friendly (gets decomposed within 100 days) will find the link soon and post here on this point.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nalini32

Nalini32 Bronze IL'ite

I support PPrasath on this one. Personally, I would prefer the disposable sanitary napkins for convenience, comfort and what I feel is more hygienic. For many years I've been using Stayfree Night time with four wall protection and it's been most comfortable for me, so I think I'll stick with it. :coffee

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  4. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Dear Anaconda1997,
    Its true that cloth pads are safer than those that are sold in markets which use chemicals, but who has the time to stich and maintain all these now-a-days ?

And it always leaves stains and most of them wont feel comfortable washing those cloth pads. And it has to be dried well too under the sun. Some people might find it uneasy to hang them visibly somewhere at home under the sun.
    And above all, it can be used only a few times as PPrasath said.
    But what you have suggested is a true safety measure against cancer and other dangerous diseases as I have read that the pads in the market cause these strange diseases.

If you are comfortable using clothpads, dont opt for those in the markets. But many women depend only on markets for their sanitary pads for ease of use, comfort and hygiene. But I agree that there is a danger of hazardous diseases due to these.

5. srina

srina New IL'ite

I like the cloth pads. Where did you buy the one in the picture? If you are making them can you please post how to do it? I found many women will not be keen on the idea of cloth pad and washing them to reuse. I didn't like the idea at first. Yes, washing and reusing them is gross and time consuming, but hey, you are not throwing out the bed sheets, underwear or redoing your bathroom when you leak anywhere during your periods. I had been using disposable for 25 years now. But when I came across your posting, I browsed more and found that using cloth reduces cramps and makes those days lighter. No scientific proof, but just many women using cloth agree to this. I was looking for alternatives for disposable and was ready to do anything to make periods manageable. Cloth makes a difference. I didn't believe it at first but wanted to use it while I was at home. Who enjoys sitting on plastic/paper all the time? Cloth would be better. With disposables I had been having terrible periods and bleeding but switching to cloth was a right decision. Thanks to you for posting the information and please just don't delete it anytime. There are women who might not be posting a reply saying they switched to cloth but many are reading and who knows, switching to cloth for the better!