Crafts of Gujarat - Applique & Patch Work

Discussion in 'Western India' started by ishanisharma, May 25, 2009.

1. ishanisharma

ishanisharma New IL'ite

Need information about the unique Applique & Patch Work of Gujarat. Where can we find chaniya cholis at reasonable rates in Gujarat. What are the other things/items this Applique & Patch Work is used other than the 'famous' chaniya choli. Does this form of art work as an industry? I look forward to your responses.

PS. Where can we find authentic Applique & Patch Work items in Delhi/NCR

Thanks,
    Ishani

2. QueenieB

QueenieB New IL'ite

Applique, the art of patch work, is an integral part of Gujarat and its world of folk art. The decorative needle work of Gujarat, has a distinctive style of its own.

Gujarat applique is mainly based on patchwork, in which coloured and patterned fabric is finely cut in different sizes and shapes. It is then sewn together on a plain background to form a composite piece. The whole charm of an applique lies in the contours of each individual inset piece. The stitch done on each individual bit is not hidden, but adds to the art. Infact, gaudy colours of thread are used to show out distinctly.

See this beautiful traditional men's dress worn during festivals (Navratri, etc)

[​IMG]

Don't you think this is beautiful?

3. bhavnaparikh

bhavnaparikh New IL'ite

What a nice Kedia Queenie! Thanks for the beautiful picture. :thumbsup

Last week I visited Law Garden and bought a beautiful chaniya choli with lots of applique and patch work, embedded with glass and shells for my niece. It is one of the best places where you can find a good deal and variety of this ethnic craft in Ahmedabad.

Can anyone share information about any other place in Gujarat/ Ahmedabad where a good collection of Applique & Patch Work is available?

4. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Even I had bought chaniya choli for my daughter from the Law Garden stalls in Ahmedabad. They are really a delight and I'd say, its really hard to choose from the huge collection of dresses they have. I even bought some files and folders with applique work (yes..you can actually buy beautiful folders there :) and they make good souveniers too), and the mirror worked bags and cushion covers are my favorite.

TIPS: All you need to do there is a lot of bargaining. And I'm sure ladies are expert in that.... :thumbsup

Happy Bargaining....oops Posting!

Sonia

5. sejalmodi

sejalmodi New IL'ite

Yes Bhavna & Sonia, the Law Garden Market is a good place to buy ethnic Gujarati crafts. Another place, where I buy traditional applique and mirror-work stuffs from are, the Ahmedabad Haat and Gujarat Gram haat. You can get some really good deals and several artisans trading their hand crafted goods directly to the consumers (sans any middlemen) at reasonable rates.

6. kats

kats New IL'ite

hi Ishani,
    Law Garden is the area of Modern Ahmedabad to carry the Gujarati traditional mirror-thread work embroidered clothings and home decor/furnishings.... but if u have the patience to travel into the Old city area of Ahmedabad you will be surprised at the even better wide range of choices in designs , colors ... bargaining is still a Tip to follow... i personally love Navratri very much -- and just before each Navratri season my Mom used to take me to this area of the city to buy me 9 dressses each year for each day of the Navratri Garba celebration... we have also shopped at Law Garden but find the city area to be providing more options with good quality as some of them are registered exporters too...all the best!!

7. nithyabhaskar

nithyabhaskar Gold IL'ite

8. Fabiana

Fabiana New IL'ite

Hello,

It is very beautiful! Where can I find it in Ahmedabad?

And can you indicate some gujaraty jewelry manufactores in Ahmedabad?

Thank you, Fabiana