How to make papad at home?

Discussion in 'Western India' started by QueenieB, May 19, 2009.

1. QueenieB

QueenieB New IL'ite

Papads is the quintessential accompaniment in Indian food. Either served as a starter, appetizer, cooked in curry or as accompaniment; papads are always enjoyed in any form.

Gujaratis are especially known to make papad at home. This made me think, if I can request ladies proficient in this 'art' (I'd call making papad an art; don't you think so?) to please share with us the method of making papad at home.

Do ladies in other parts of India also make papad at home. Please write in.

Thanks
    Queenie

2. sejalmodi

sejalmodi New IL'ite

Yes, we Gujaratis love to have home-made ingredients like papads, fresh spices, vadis and pickles. We make different kinds of papads and according to me, the tradition of making papads at home is passed on from generation to generation.

In our family we mostly make urad dal papad, sabudana papad and rice papad. It is no less then an occasion when ladies in the family get together and make papads, some rolling them out, others drying them out on the terrace singing folklore and then storing them in jars. I wish I could help you visualize the fun associated with it.

Which is your favorite papad?

3. krishnabhatt

krishnabhatt New IL'ite

My personal favorite is urad dal papad. You too can make it at home. The weather needs to be very dry and remember, DRY THE PAPAD PROPERLY.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CUser%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> For making 1 kg urad dal papad:

Ingredients:

• Urad dhal –1 kg
    • Soda-Bicarb – 35 gm
    • Salt to taste
    • Asafoetida (Hing) – 1 teaspoon
    • Flavors (as per choice) - ground black pepper or garlic, or chili
    Method:

• Take 1 kg urad dhal and finely grind into flour.
    • Add salt to taste sodabicarb, and hing. Also add flavors – black pepper, garlic, chilli as per your taste and the variety you want.
    • Add water to make hard dough. Knead it for quite sometime. You can also add edible oil at the time of kneading (optional).
    • Then roll out around 100 round pancakes each weighing around 10 to 12 gms, with about 7 " diameter.
    • Allow it to dry in the sun.
    P.S: Shelf life of properly dried papad is about 6 months. You can just roast or deep fry it whenever one wishes to eat.

1 person likes this.
  4. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Wow Papad recipe! Never actually thought of making papad at home... But definitely require to give a try...what say ladies??

Do you think, it is easy to make papad at home? What's your say?

Happy Posting!
    Sonia