1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Which coffee brands/Starbucks flavor do you like?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Nila, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

I am tired hunting for a coffee powder that tastes close to Indian filter coffee.

These US coffee powders smell so good, but they are light in color and are very dilute on adding milk :x . The Indian grocery store near our place has only various brands of instant coffee.

Can someone suggest me a better coffee powder?

2. ammu

ammu New IL'ite

Try GV - Arabica

Nila,

I read your signature quote - "Life is full of challenges", believe one of the biggest challenge for you now is coffee powder of Indian taste :lol:

Try Great Value 100% Arabica ground coffee. Watch out for ground coffee, they have instant coffee too.
    I use this and though coffee is not dark as india filter coffee, tastes almost close to it.

3. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

Thanks for the suggestion

Ammu,

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Yeah - right now the challenge is settling with a tasty coffee :)

Do these coffee powders get filtered properly in the typical eversilver filters we get in India? Or should I get a coffee machine?

4. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Starbucks coffee

Nila,

Give this a try...

Get "house blend" coffee from Starbucks. When they grind it for you ask them to grind it for cone filter. This will get you a fine powder.

You can make decoction in an ordinary Indian steel coffee filter, no probs.

I wouldn't say it will be exactly like Indian coffee, but something very close to it I found here in the US.

5. madhu_cute

madhu_cute Junior IL'ite

Have you tried Folgers?

Nila,

Have you tried Folgers coffee?
    I get this brand here in Canada and I'm sure it will be available in the US too.

To get thickness similar to Indian coffee, you need to add chicory to it.
    You will get this in any grocery stores in the coffee section. Mix it in the ratio of 80% coffee powder + 20% chicory powder.

It should be perfect like Indian coffee in this proportion. I have been using it for quiet sometime now.

6. neha

neha New IL'ite

well i will suggest you a better solution to this problem

if you are not getting the taste and color close to the indian filter coffee
    try out this method

add a pinch of salt to the coffee. salt flavour will not be there in the coffee and you will get the thickness similar to the indian coffee....

neha

7. sonali

sonali New IL'ite

I would suggest still another way to increase the smell and taste of coffee…

Fry some Jeera(cumin seeds). Grind it and add to the coffee. Also, add sugar in the boiling water itself rather waiting to put in the end.

Making this way, we get taste and smell similar to our traditional Indian coffee.

8. Shamala

Shamala New IL'ite

I have a solution

Hey Nila, I am addicted to coffee too. After trying all the different coffee powder brands, I finally found one that gives the original taste. Try this: New Orleans Famous "French Market" Coffee and Chicory. The chicory is already mixed. It will be powdered. But I'll powder it more finely for my filter coffee. Try this and let me know how you like it. Watch out it is strong.

9. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Re: Filter coffee

Hi Nila,

I joined this site only a few days back and saw ur thread.
    The closest taste to South Indian filter coffee is the KIRKLAND BRAND 100% COLUMBIAN COFFEE-DARK ROAST - this we get in COSTCO.

I use this in the indian coffee filter only. The taste and the flavor is very close to the LEO coffee we get in Chennai. It is awesome!!

I tried using Folgers too in the filter but it is very watery. So far this is the best and the decoction also comes out thick.

Thanks
    Jithiks(Krithika)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  10. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Re: Filter coffee

Jithiks,

We at home are coffee lovers and cannot live without our filter coffee. We have also been using Costco's 100% Columbian Coffee. It is best for South Indian tastes. I have tried Folger's too and as you say it is too watery.