1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Did you know how much water to drink?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by kavya, Jun 25, 2005.

1. kavya

kavya Bronze IL'ite

"Water may help you to cut calories. Replacing high calorie beverages like coffee, tea and sodas with plain water can significantly reduce calories. Also, most of these beverages contain caffeine, acts as a diuretic, setting you up for dehydration. By the time you feel thirsty, you already are dehydrated" says Mara Z. Vitolins, Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center nutritionist and assistant professor of public health sciences (epidemiology).

How much water should one take?

One way to calculate how much you need is to take your weight in pounds and divide by two. The result is the number of ounces of water you should drink a day.

So a 125- pound woman needs to drink 62.5 ounces of water each day -- just a little more than five 12-ounce glasses, or three bottles of 20-ounce water. A 175-pound man would need five bottles of water.

So Drink Up!

Regards,
    Kavya

2. malar

malar Bronze IL'ite

Easily said, but hard to be done!

I like this note on how much water one should drink. Also, I have noticed in whatever tips I read about beauty and health there is a mention about drinking water and its many benefits.

But my problem is this...though I fully understand the benefits and needs of drinking water, when it comes to drinking water I find it so difficult. I just stop in a few sips. I have to force myself but in vain. If I force too much I feel like throwing up or get into nausea feeling. I try hard to make it a practice to drink lots of water but it not being possible. When people say so many glasses of water to be drunk daily, I feel it is easily said but hard to be done!

Anybody here who has gone through this? Any suggestions on how do I cultivate the habit of drinking water more frequently?

Thanks,
    Malar

3. Roshni

Roshni Local Champion Staff Member Senior IL'ite

Have foods that contain water

Hi Malar,

It is possible for not being able to take more water; don't worry it is not just you going through it.

You can take water required for your body in other ways - in the form of soups, juices, shakes and "moderate" amount of caffeinated beverages. Any fluid you take counts towards your hydration goal.

I also remember reading in a health magazine that 'if you just drink water you will only satisfy thirst mechanisms, whereas foods that contain a lot of water satiate hunger and helps to hydrate as well'.

Having more juicy fruits and vegetables like watermelon, tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkin, etc. is an easy way to fill up on water.

1 person likes this.
  4. rohini

rohini New IL'ite

Easy tips to increase the amount of water you drink

Here are some easy tips to increase the amount of water you drink are:

• Switch to a larger glass.
    • Keep a bottle of water with you, and keep sipping from it. Needless to say, make sure you refill it when it’s empty.
    • Every time you drink a cup of coffee or a coke, make it a rule to drink a glass of water. This will not only reduce the amount of caffeinated beverages you consume, it will also counter their diuretic effect.
    • Add a touch of flavour to your water. While pure water is the best, flavoured water is a good alternative.

5. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

water therapy..

Hi,

Just the other day my friend forwarded a mail with the sub. Water Therapy.
    I'm just pasting it here for u to go thru. They say drink 1.5 ltrs of water early morning b4 brushing and it will cure the following diseases Blood Pressure / Hypertension,Anemia (Blood Shortage), Rheumatism (Pain in joints / muscles), General Paralysis, Obesity, Arthritis, Sinusitis, Tachycardia, Giddiness, Cough, Leukemia, Asthma, Bronchitis, Pulmonary Tuberculosis, Meningitis, Kidney Stones,Hyper Acidity, Dysentry, Gastroenteritis, Uterus Cancer, Rectal Piodapse, Constipation, Hostorthobics, Diabetes, Eye Diseases, Ophthalmic Hemorrhage & Opthalmia
    (Reddisheye), Irregular Menstruation, Breast Cancer, Laryngitis, Headache, Leukemia, Urogenital Diseases.

Therapy Procedure

Early morning, after you get up from bed, (without even brushing your teeth) drink 1.5 liters of water i.e., 5 to 6 glasses. Let us all know that ancient
    Indians termed this therapy as "Usha Paana Chikitsa".
    You may wash your face thereafter.

Here it is very essential to note that nothing else, neither drinks nor solid food of any sort should be taken within 1 hour before and after drinking these
    <SCRIPT><!-- D(["mb","1.5 liters of water.

It is also to be strictly observed that no alcoholic
    drinks should be taken the previous night.

If required, boiled and filtered water may be used
    for this purpose.

It is difficult to drink 1.5 liters of water at one
    time, but you will get used to it gradually.

Initially, while practicing you may drink four
    glasses first and to balance two glasses after a gap
    of two minutes.

You may find the necessity to urinate 2 to 3 times
    within an hour, but it will become normal after quite
    some time.

By Research and Experience

The following diseases are observed to be cured with
    this therapy within the indicated days as below:

Ø Constipation - 1 day

Ø Acidity - 2 days

Ø Diabetes - 7 days

Ø Cancer - 4 weeks

Ø Pulmonary TB - 3 months

Ø BP & Hypertension - 4 weeks

Note:

It is advised that persons suffering from Arthritis
    or Rheumatism should practice this therapy thrice a
    day, i.e. morning, midday and night, 1 hour before
    meals for one week; and twice a day subsequently until
    the disease disappears.

How Does Pure Water Act?

Consuming ordinary drinking water by the right method
    purifies human body. It renders the colon more
    effective by forming new fresh blood, known in medical
    terms as &quot; Haematopaises&quot;. That the mucous folds of
    the colon and intestines are activated by this method
    is an undisputed fact, just as the theory that the
    mucous fold produces new fresh blood.

If the colon is cleansed then the nutrients of the
    food taken several times a day will be absorbed and by
    the action of the mucous folds they are turned into
    fresh blood. The blood is all-important in curing
    ailments and restoring health and for this water
    should be consumed in a regular pattern.
    ",1] ); //--></SCRIPT>1.5 liters of water.

It is also to be strictly observed that no alcoholic drinks should be taken the previous night.

If required, boiled and filtered water may be used for this purpose.

It is difficult to drink 1.5 liters of water at one time, but you will get used to it gradually.

Initially, while practicing you may drink four glasses first and to balance two glasses after a gap of two minutes.

You may find the necessity to urinate 2 to 3 times within an hour, but it will become normal after quite some time.

By Research and Experience

The following diseases are observed to be cured with this therapy within the indicated days as below:

Ø Constipation - 1 day

Ø Acidity - 2 days

Ø Diabetes - 7 days

Ø Cancer - 4 weeks

Ø Pulmonary TB - 3 months

Ø BP & Hypertension - 4 weeks

Note:

It is advised that persons suffering from Arthritis or Rheumatism should practice this therapy thrice a day, i.e. morning, midday and night, 1 hour before meals for one week; and twice a day subsequently until the disease disappears.

How Does Pure Water Act?

Consuming ordinary drinking water by the right method purifies human body. It renders the colon more effective by forming new fresh blood, known in medical terms as " Haematopaises". That the mucous folds of the colon and intestines are activated by this method is an undisputed fact, just as the theory that the mucous fold produces new fresh blood.

If the colon is cleansed then the nutrients of the food taken several times a day will be absorbed and by the action of the mucous folds they are turned into fresh blood. The blood is all-important in curing ailments and restoring health and for this water should be consumed in a regular pattern.

I found it difficult to drink so much water early morning but trying to do just to find how it helps.

Does anyone have any idea about this?????? pls do share ur thoughts..

Meena

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2005
  6. sree

sree New IL'ite

No to excess water!

I read somewhere that if you drink too much water, that is more than what is required it washes away all the nutrients which our body needs.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2005
  7. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Be moderate

Hi,

For a long time I used to drink water (a lot) as a first thing in the

morning. I read somewhere that if you drink water in excess of what is

needed to your body, your kidneys will be affected because of over

burdening, may be later in life. I was scared, so I drink water in

moderation. But when you drink as a first thing in the morning

the skin will be good, there won`t be any constipation, your inner

organs are energised.

Enjoy drinking water!!!

8. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

The water works

Hello all,

I remember reading this discussion long time back about water in this forum. In a recent newsletter sent out by our insurance company, I got to read about water and thought of posting the information here...

What you need to know about water(H20)?

Do you gurgle when you walk? You should! Your body is 55 to 60 percent water. You drink water to aid digestion, elimination, and absorption of nutrients. If you have too little water, you get dehydrated or constipated, or worse.

Water plays a vital role in the body by:
    • Providing energy
    • Transporting oxygen
    • Regulating temperature
    • Keeping your organs and systems functioning properly
    • Helping to remove waste from your cells
    • Lubricating your joints
    • Helping the blood move nutrients to your cells
    • Filtering the kidneys and liver
    • Helping with metabolism of fat in the liver
    • Keeping your electrolytes in balance
    • Making your skin healthy and youthful looking
    How much water should you drink?
    Experts now say that drinking eight glasses of water is not necessary. For normal, healthy adults, simply drinking when thirsty — even coffee and other drinks — can meet the body's need for fluids.

Fluid intake can include the fluid you get from food, caffeine drinks, and other beverages. Experts haven't set a limit for drinking too much liquid.

Exceptions to these guidelines are athletes, those who are sick or who have certain medical conditions, or people living in extreme weather conditions. Exercise, heat, and humidity increase the possibility of dehydration, so you need to drink more frequently. Sickness, a high body temperature, excessive perspiration, vomiting, frequent urination, or diarrhea also increase our fluid needs. Watch your urine: if it's too concentrated and yellow — which indicates a need for more fluid — drink more.

Can water help with weight control?
    Experts say no and yes. No, because water satisfies our thirst, not our hunger, and because — for normal people — drinking water doesn't usually reduce the calories consumed at a meal.

However, some people do substitute water — or other low-calorie beverages — for food in their weight loss efforts. And water does make them feel full and provides some satisfaction. Broth-based soups, shakes, and other drinks can help, as can fruits and vegetables. In fact, you get about 20 percent of your fluid requirements from foods like lettuce, watermelon, broccoli, grapefruit, milk, carrots, yogurt, and apples.

So, if you don't like to drink water, turn to other beverages — preferably low-calorie ones like tea, coffee, fruit juice, and milk. It'll still hydrate you.

Bottom line:
    Whether you drink water or coffee or other beverages, fluid intake is important to keep your body functioning. Experts say it doesn't have to be water, though. Feed your thirst ... and make sure you drink extra fluids if you're exercising or exerting yourself in the sun.

9. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Just add a lemon wedge in water.. That makes it easy to drink !!!

:)

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

i have had grt result with the water therapy...

hai folks,
    when thisforward of water consumption came from myfriend i gave it a good try and my sugar level was perfect....and i was brisk and abt but now the water in bangalore is filled with nitrate the paper says today....i had to suffer a lot of ulcer in the throat and stomach so stopped it and so vital during these summer months.....so have taken to buttermilk but cant avoid my morning cup of coffee...i miss my water treatment ......need to chek for other water alternative like the mineral which i never beleived all these years......but it does help with arthritis rheumatism etc etc....keeps u brisk....even people unable to go out for walk this helps to keep sugar level down...no doubt u r flushing out through ur kidney how else mmmm...but removing toxin is one thing u need to do....when u take to salt for purging that also gets absorbed....so this water helps u to get rid of it...especially for woman who have lost their cycles ....only means is sweating and which u dont in bangalore...so this therapy helped a lot to keep movement...without pain...hope to seek alternative to start again.....regards...sunkan