1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Struggling to fall asleep in the night!

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by uma, May 31, 2005.

1. uma

uma Senior IL'ite

Off late I have been struggling to fall asleep in the night.

I thought it may be due to taking a short nap during the day and now I don't sleep during the day too! I keep myself busy with some activity or the other till my children are back from school, then needless to say, I get too busy with their homework activities making them read, write, etc. and taking them to their other activities classes.

But I am not sure why it takes too long to get sleep in the night.
    This leaves me tired and sloppy the next whole day.

Any suggestions please...

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2005

2. amudha

amudha Senior IL'ite

Hi Uma,

I know what you mean...sometimes it happens that we struggle to fall asleep in the night, but we will badly feel sleepy during the day :?

I would suggest you do some work out that would make you feel relaxed and will help to get sleep.

PS: Taking naps during the day not only takes off night sleep, I have also heard it will increase body weight.

Take care,
    Amudha

3. jyoti

jyoti New IL'ite

Hi Uma,

It is awful to be in the bed struggling to fall asleep. Especially, when we see others having a sound sleep :x

May be you are not fully relaxing when you go to bed. Do not worry about tasks/activities piled up for the next day, stop thinking about anything, keep yourself calm and try to completely relax.

Very important, do not eat half-stomach or don't skip your dinner. Sometimes that might also be a reason for not getting good sleep!

4. Roshni

Roshni Local Champion Staff Member Senior IL'ite

To tackle sleeplessness...

Uma,

I recently happend to read this in a helath magazine. Remembered your query about sleepnessa and hence thought of sharing...
    To tackle sleepness, the following had beed advised:

• Avoid caffeine in the late afternoon and evening. Caffeine can delay your sleep.
    • Exercise regularly, but do so at least three hours before bedtime. A workout after that time may actually keep you awake because your body has not had a chance to cool down.
    • Establish a regular, relaxing bedtime routine that will allow you to unwind and send a "signal" to your brain that it’s time to sleep. Avoiding exposure to bright light before bedtime and taking a hot bath may help.
    • Consider your sleep environment. Make it as pleasant, comfortable, dark and quiet as you can.
    • If you can’t go to sleep after 30 minutes, don’t stay in bed tossing and turning. Get up and involve yourself in a relaxing activity, such as listening to soothing music or reading, until you feel sleepy.
      Remember: Try to clear your mind; don’t use this time to solve your daily problems.
    Hope this helps...

5. swethashyam81771022

swethashyam81771022 New IL'ite

Re:

Hello,

I am swetha and I thought of helping u by giving this tip so that u can sleep well at nights. This is an old recipe which my aunty had given me: please go through below:

Ingredients:

Khus-Khus(dry roast)-1/4cup
    Almonds(Dry roast)-1/4 cup
    Nutmeg-i/2 chopped
    Turmeric powder-1/2tsp

Method: Grind all the baove ingredients to fine powder and preserve in an airtight container.

Before u go to bed at nights, add 1tsp of this powder for 1cup of boiling milk. Add honey or jaggery according to ur taste and drink it hot.

This works well and u can sleep well...........

6. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

For some reason my reply couldn't be posted so I'm re-posting it.
    Beware that Khus-khus (poppy seeds) are narcotic drugs with addictive effects. So back off on its amount & don't get hooked on it.

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Uma...

You have received many useful tips here to relax yourself and fall asleep. I am sure they will be of help to you. Yes, do avoid any activity that overly excites you just before the bedtime. Exercise, Tv and even computer work it seems can cause sleep disturbances. Reading in bed is a good and relaxing habit and a joyous one too.
    Best of luck.

L, Kamla

Ps..I do not think poppy seeds in those small amounts can have a narcotic effect. Afterall, poppy seeds are widely used in some regions.

8. ish_nalini

ish_nalini Senior IL'ite

Make sure that your infrastrusture(i.e your bedroom seems to have a dull bulb may be a '0'waats bulb..) ..It will surely get into sleep
    Have a full tumbler of Milk
    Hear pleasant music (make sure after hearing dont forget to switch off heheheh)

Have a habit of reading a boring book,soon you will get into sleep(My Experience during schoolin):p

9. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Dear uma

Its really awful not getting sleep in night, even i face that problem, in my case i might sleep in day so i may not get sleep in night, so i usually avoid sleeping in day nowadays, even then some day i might not get sleep.

why dont u try this:

Do some warm up exercises
    read books before going to bed
    do meditate for few mns

And besides u have said u get engaged with house hold works, that will also help u.

Hope this might be of some help to u

10. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Uma,
    I will give you a small suggestion, try to concentrate on the flow of your
    breath. At first, thoughts may disturb you. Let them go and focus on your
    breath. You don`t know when you fall asleep. It is my personal experience.
    Try this and sleep well.