1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Elaichis and fungus

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by vidhya, May 27, 2005.

1. vidhya

vidhya New IL'ite

Elachis are not used everyday. So I never used to open its container unless it is required. In the midst of making of certain dishes, when I open the container, I can see those affected by certain fungus and are not able to use. Can we avoid this? Suggestions please…….

2. diya

diya New IL'ite

We can remove fungus from elaichi but you should do this a day prior to the day you wish to make the dishes.
    Add a little soda powder to water. Wash the fungus-affected elaichi in this water thoroughly and allow it to dry under the sun. This removes the fungus.

3. Jaya

Jaya New IL'ite

Tips for removing fungus

Hello friends,

These are some tips for removing fungus from various items:

LEATHER BAG: Fungus in leather bag can be removed by cleaning it with warm linseed oil (A yellowish oil extracted from the seeds of flax and used as a drying oil in paints and varnishes and in linoleum, printing inks, and synthetic resins). Rubbing the area affected with fungus with candles (wax) followed by wiping with a moist cloth also removes fungus.

PAPADS: To prevent papads from fungus, keep a blotting paper first in the tin used for storing papads and then keep the papads.

URID DAL AND LEGUMES can be prevented from fungus by applying little castor oil over them.

CHEESE: Keep the cheese covered by a cloth dipped in vinegar.

PICKLES: Keep a cloth dipped in salted sesame oil over the pickles. Keep the pickled bottles in sunlight from time to time, it helps to prevent fungus growth. Always use a dry spoon for pickles.

FRIDGE: Clean fridge with a cloth dipped in vinegar to prevent fungus and bad odors.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005