What is Buckwheat in Tamil?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by mstrue, Apr 28, 2010.

1. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010

2. narra

narra Silver IL'ite

3. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Thanks, Narra!
    I have never heard of "Papparai" :hide: .
    Seems like buckwheat has so many health benefits. And luckily I like the taste. I shall raid the Indian stores and other whole foods stores.. hope to find it someday. Thanks for your help, atleast now I know what I am looking for. :)

4. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Hope you must have come across few items like kollu,kambu,thengaai punnaaku ..likewise this buckwheat is called "Kottu"..not used much in routine life but they are really fibre rich.I have never heard about the term Papparai..WHen i browsed for an image of buckwheat i believed that it must be Kottu..Will see if i can fidn detils from a proper source :thumbsup

5. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Thx Cindhuja! Yeah I make kollu chutney/rasam so often - My DH's favorite it is. Before marriage I have never even seen that kollu. But now it is so common in my kitchen. He loves it like anything! oh that and Ragi too. I make Kali - Ragi pudding. But never heard of Kottu or papparai. :hide:
    Kottu - is that in Tamil? What do you make with it? :idea Roti? Wikipedia says so..

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  6. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

I am terribly sorry for not helping you with this..I have heard about this kottu through my maid(@ hometown) but never tried any recipes out of it :hide:..Will update you if i get to know something about this :hiya

7. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

I didn't know you could do something with buckwheat. I've seen organic buckwheat pillows and that is about my knowledge of what it is used for LOL I suppose since its a type of wheat, its edible as well.

8. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Malvi, The buckwheat I have in my Tea tastes like 'roasted raw rice'.. I like that taste..

A complete breakdown on the nutrients in Buckwheat:
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Buckwheat

Health Benefits of Buckwwheat:
    WHFoods: Buckwheat

9. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Found this while browsing:-

Source : Healthizen.com

Ingredients
    Amount buckwheat
    1/2 cup curds mixed with 1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup ragi / nachni flour
    2 tbsp ginger green chilli paste
    1 tsp salt
    to taste Fruit salt
    1/2 tsp oil for greasing
    1/4 tsp chopped coriander for garnish
    1 tbsp
    Preparation Method
    Grind the Buckwheat coarsely. Wash and drain well.Add the curds mixture and mix well.Add the ragi flour, ginger green chilli paste and salt to the mixture and mix well to make the dhokla batter.Add the fruit salt to the batter and sprinkle a little water over it to enable bubbles to be formed.Mix gently and pour the batter into a 200 mm (8) diameter greased thali.Steam for 15-20 minutes till the dhoklas are firm.Cool slightly and cut into diamond shaped pieces.Serve hot garnished with coriander.

Source :- ashy-macbean.com
    Buckwheat,Paneer and Spinach pilaf:-

1 cup of raw buckwheat
    A bunch of spinach
    About 150g of tofu (or paneer)
    1 onion
    1 clove of garlic
    A few crushed black peppercorns
    A pinch of ground nutmeg
    A half teaspoon of crushed coriander seeds
    Olive oil
    Salt

Rinse the buckwheat then put it in a pan and add water until it covers the buckwheat by about two fingers depth. Add a little salt then bring to the boil and cook uncovered for about 7 minutes. Stir at the end of cooking time to evaporate the last of the water then switch off the heat and lay the buckwheat aside to cool.
    Chop the onion and fry it in the oil until it becomes transparent. Add the tofu, cut into small cubes and fry for a further few minutes. Add the garlic, spices and some salt and cook for about 30 seconds before adding the roughly chopped spinach. Cover the pan and leave for three or four minutes until the spinach has wilted, then stir and cook for a minute or two more. Add the buckwheat and stir gently until it has heated through.
    Try serving buckwheat pilaf with a green salad for a light, nutritious meal.

10. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Never tried buckwheat tea. And I do drink a lot of tea LOL

Oh cool, lots of health info on buckwheat. So what food items have buckwheat in them or what can you make out of it? I don't and cannot cook so the former would be more useful vs the latter :rotfl

I've seen bulgar wheat in some middle eastern dishes like tabbouli. Is that the same as buckwheat?