Do u like Indian culture or Western culture?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by priti8683, Aug 9, 2009.

1. priti8683

priti8683 Senior IL'ite

I am confused..many people say Indian culture is the best but I feel western culture is the best for women...

I am considering following things...

Gender : Here no difference b/w a boy or a girl...In India many girl's deaths.

Education : Genenrally here parents dnt force their childs for studies...In India parents believe that only education helps to lead a good life for childs.

Freedom : Here full freedom..( ofcorse it may causes many probs)

Wedding : Here no burden for a bride's family...equal burden..No dowries...men and women have equal rights...they share their expenses....they dnt think about spouse's money...If they dnt like each other they dnt bother about society, simply they take divorce.

Job : Here people do many part time jobs from high school. In india we dnt do that...we dnt work in gas stations, shops ...etc. They dnt ask for pocket money...

Only the problem is dating, which we dnt like in their culture but now in India many people are follwin this dating culture....

This is my opinion, everyone has a right to express their opinions...

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    1 person likes this.

2. jyothyarun

jyothyarun New IL'ite

i like Indian culture

3. GarghKavita

GarghKavita New IL'ite

Every culture has some good things and some bad things. I think Priti is a little biased in listing the advantages and disadvantages of both the cultures.

Don't worry priti, its the common problem with NRIs. They tend to start hating India and preferring America, the minute they get a green-card. Hai Na???? :rotfl

4. priti8683

priti8683 Senior IL'ite

hey kavita,

Not like that....actually here they dnt care about society....many indian coulpes are strugguling with marriedlife...but they wont go for seperation because of society, parents ...blah...blah...here eual opportunities for both men and women...

I like western culture because they dnt live their life for others happiness...

Thanks,

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  5. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Hey Kavitha , Please do not generalise.I have lived in USA,Middle East(living) and in India.Every culture has itz own advatages and disadvantages.

Indian culture is good in its purest form.But do you think we follow our traditions properly these days?

I will never vote for American culture.

And Priti , The below is in response to your reply.

I do not agree with you.Though the girl baby death is less , I wud not say there is absolute gender equality.I do not know whether you work in USA.But in every office I worked , I realised that the men never treat women equal.They still think women are not as brilliant as them.

Come on.It is just the awareness.Every American is atleast primary school educated.We have our parents to giude us.We should be happy about this.

I like the dowry part you said.But if you do not have any boundaries then I think life is meaningless.Imagine starting a new life every now and then .It is painful particularly when u have kids.It is a different story if you do not care about your kids.

I would say this has itz own disadvantage which I need not elobarate.

Finally ,Priti ,Do not be overwhelmed by the way you are treated or You see US(any other foreign country) now.I see this in almost every person who comes to US.Be practical and come down to reality.If we are kicked out or abused or screwed up (like it happens in Australia) we need to go India (our own mother country) which will always welcome us.

EAST OR WEST INDIA IS THE BEST!!!I am proud to be an Indian!:thumbsup

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  6. bharti

bharti Silver IL'ite

all due respect to your feeling and saying bhuvnidhi but just because u can come back to india when others get abusive..... i think thats not all about the culture....... i mean within india too if there is this discrimination regarding region baisedness..... u would come back to ur home town..... that doesnt mean it has got to be the best......

i m not trying to say here that india is bad..... its our home country...... so as they say...... 100 mein se 99 beiman fir bhi mera bharat mahan...... definitely u will love it no matter what......

i guess we are discussing here only about the culture...... so i guess.... it will be hipocracy for most of the ppl to say indian culture is the best..... then y are we westernising day in day out....... had most of the ppl thought that way y cant we maintain our culture...... this is a thought which has come to me after coming to dubai...... man ppl really really respect their culture here..... it shows..... while we india do talk that its good but then y cant we really maintain it.... y it is becoming a budern these days to stick to your cultural values.......

well there certainly are good things n bad about each culture...... while western culture is lurcative and thats y attracts with good points too as spelled out by preeti..... but yes they do not have bonding as strong....... india is known for it..... but guys we are loosing our cultural values..... where do you see so much bonding in india nemore..... things have really westernised!!!!

7. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Hi Bharti ,

I am not saying that American culture is bad(though I will never vote for American culture..I have seen it day in and out for years).

If you re-read my reply you can see that I have clearly stated "Indian culture is good in its purest form.But do you think we follow our traditions properly these days?"

Also I have stated that "Every culture has itz own advatages and disadvantages." and never said India has the best culture.

But the tone of Priti's thread made me write the reality :hide:.I have seen the same tone in many people who come(for first time) and live in US which drives me crazy.

Just because things have been westernized does not mean they are good.It is just the way we take it.It is just that we look at westerners with an awe.

Bharti , If we do not respect ourselves nobody will.Come to the ME you will see the westerners bow in front of Arabs.You know the reason .Here the locals are treated much above any expatriate whether they are wrong or right.If you mess up with a localite your life will be screwed.It does not matter whether you are a black or white.I just admire them for that.

We need to respect ourselves first to gain respect from others.I think I have deviated from the topic.But as an Indian we need to respect our culture first.Not following the culture is a diff issue , which we need to fight out ourselves.

Itz my personal opinion.

8. Sonya4mdelhi

Sonya4mdelhi Senior IL'ite

Is that a good trait in a society???? As far as I know, we should at least live for few people's happiness if not everybody else's. This is the main reason why westerners feel empty inside. They only life for themselves and that empties them from inside. Indians may struggle with their families sometimes, but at the end of the day, we have loads of people who are there to help us when we need them.

Its not like America where parent abandon their kids when they are 16 and kids abandon their parents when they are 60. :rotfl

9. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Good topic. I am not restricting my response to culture though.

USA:

Some good things:
    =================
    Innovation, constant improvement, you can learn anything at any age.
    Good infrasturcture, streamlined services.
    Exposure to so many different cultures and beliefs. Broadens your vision.
    Cutting edge discoveries in almost all fields.

Some bad things:
    ================
    Girls are sterotyped into softer educational courses. I see more Indian women engineers than american.
    Too much emphasis on looks for women of all ages.
    Everything is driven by advertising and companies.
    Healthcare system sucks although the country has the best medical facilities, one needs insurance.
    College education is very expensive.
    Media and consumer behavior is controlled and manipulated by corporations.
    Do not like the emphasis on dating among teens or media marketing to teens. Teenage girls in media dress older than their age.

India (please note it is has been over a decade since I lived in India)
    Good:
    =====
    Indian food, clothes, festivals.
    Being around people with a similar value system.
    Indian vegetables are not genetically manipulated, more access to organic produce.
    If you are religious, access to resources to pursue religious interests.
    Easy acceess to medical failities.

Bad:
    ====
    Infrastructure (roads, water, electricity)
    Discrimination against girl child (right from birth)
    Eve-teasing

so the good and bad exist everywhere, we can choose the good and find ways to work around the bad.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  10. ish333

ish333 Senior IL'ite

EAST OR WEST INDIA IS THE BEST!!!I am proud to be an Indian!:thumbsup

well said!!!