The Miniature Earth

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by dolorcosta, Apr 4, 2009.

1. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

There are so many articles and TV programs that advise us to count our blessings and be happy with what you have. I am giving below a link entitled “The miniature Earth” which drives home this point in an excellent manner. It truly makes one realize that we really have nothing to complain about as compared to the vast majority of the world’s population

Most of us seem to know vaguely that we are financially and materially better off than a lot of other unfortunate people in this world. But this presentation quantifies to a fairly accurate degree the gulf between the have and have-nots.

The process used is to assume that the world consists of just 100 people and then compare the demographic, financial, social ratios. For a lot of people this is easier to understand and at end of it all, you feel really thankful for what you have.

For me, this link was provided to me by my son – yes the same son whom I used to criticize for spending too much time on the Net and visiting unnecessary websites.

The Miniature Earth

Regards.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dolorcosta,

Let me be the first one to respond to your post! Thank you for sharing such a good video. Yes, it does make more sense when broken down into smaller numbers.

While it makes one feel thankful for what one has, it also very well drives home the point that even 1 person in a 100, making a difference will make a bigger difference eventually! That is an awesome thought and worth remembering and practising.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  3. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi dolorcosta,

That was really an amazing video presentation. As you've rightly said, even when we do realize that we are much better off than people who are struggling to put the bread on the table (even if they do have one!), this video has eloquently brought out the exact facts and figures of the present day world.

It instills in us, to value what we have all the more and reduce wastage. Donate what we can, when we can and to whomever we can.

Bottomline, respect the earth and the people, irrespective of where they come from, the caste, religion and the race.

Special thanks to your son for bringing this to your attention and to you for sharing it with all of us.

Cheers
    Krithika

4. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear Dolorcosta,

Thank you so much for sharing this valuable presentatin with us friend ... It is very much true that we are living much better life than those who suffer with out anything ... But still, poor gets poorer and Rich gets Richer ... And, no mentality for some people to help each other or thankful ...

5. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Dear Srama

Thanks for yr prompt feedback-glad you enjoyed the video.Guess that this is the least I could do on a reciprocal basis ,after you posted the wonderful one on " Credit Crisis "

Have also observed that your fertile mind has already sought to apply the info on this video
    in a practical way, by pointing out that if even one person out of 100 tries to help others, it will really make a world of difference ! Must admit I never thought of it that way.

Rgds.

6. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Hi Jithiks

Glad to read your response.You have hit the nail on the head when you said that wastage must be avoided.How simple and how true.If only we could inculcate this sense of prudent thrift, firstly within our immediate family members and then
    to others, we will be able to conserve precious resources.

Looking at the extremely skewed distribution of wealth, I was reminded of one of Mahatma Gandhi' quotations :
    " There is enough on this planet for everyone's need
    But not enough for everyone's greed "

Seems very apt here !

Rgds.

7. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Dear Lahy15

Thanks for chipping in with your comments which is much appreciated.

Yes it may be true that some do not have the mentality to help others, but hopefully this should not deter others ,who do possess a helpful nature, from providing even a little assistance, whenever possible, to those who are lesser fortunate than them.

Regards.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009