gift idea for your parents 60th birthday

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by msquare, Jun 12, 2008.

1. msquare

msquare Senior IL'ite

h ladies
    can u all suggest some good gifts you will be giving to your parents on their 60th celebration. post your suggestions. thanks

2. Vanju

Vanju New IL'ite

Hi

I just gave my mom a string of corel....this is what i can afford. As am a home maker here in US dont have much money to geft any valuables to themWitsend. First I thought of celebrating their 60th birthday with my DH's help. Thought of giving them a best dinner in any 3 / 5 star hotel including one night stay. But due to some personal issues (in my in-laws side) am unable to do bonk. If you like these idea, pl proceed and let me know how your parents felt ?

Convey my regards to your parents....

3. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hi,

For 60th Birthday it is a tradition to give new clothes. Apart you can give a pair of coral bead tied to gold which can be worn along with "Thiru Mangalyam".

sindmani likes this.
  4. msquare

msquare Senior IL'ite

i will and thanks for the reply too:)

5. msquare

msquare Senior IL'ite

and thaks for the suggetion and i did not know about giving new clothes on the occassion. Thanks a lot again.

6. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

hi all,

Even i am planning to gift my parents on that ocassion. As some other ILite had stated, i am a house wife and dont want to depend on my husband or in-laws for this. I have some minimal savings, so planned to work it out from that. My mom loves a MW oven, though it is not a big deal, she hesitated to get it stating some silly reasons. So i am gonna get her a MW in Madras. Since getting new saree and dhoti is customary planned to get it too.

If you can afford, you can arrange for some short trips to any nearby commercial tourist spots or spiritual.

Two of my frenz gifted their parents a slight different item. One arranged for a pooja in a temple and served the needy over there that day.

Other one gifted an Oonjal and served food for an old-age home.

sindmani likes this.
  7. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi ,

my FIL's 60th b'day got over jsut a month ago. we thought we will give them somthing in gold but the price hike in gold made us think. so we thought we will do this, to invest some money in the bank as fixed and make them get the interest so that it will be a kind of saving for them as well the interest will be there regular income. though we did not do this due to some personal reasons but everybody liked this idea.

8. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi msquare,

good thread. we did our father's 60th birthday well when I was in India 10 years back. As vanaja said in our custom,we have to get them new clothes. we bought grand 9 yards pattu saree for amma and pattu doti for papa. And also we have to buy 'thali' and 'metti' . we did the wedding in a grand manner.

You also first do as per your custom and if you want to do some extra, you can arrange some spritiual trip for them. like Thrupati, Kasi or Ramaswaram which ever they like. Better ask them about their wish also. so that you and your brother, sisiters can plan and send them.

Hope this will help you.

sindmani likes this.
  9. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am so sad after reading all the other posts. all the homemakers are in same position even if they live in US?:eek:mg: I am shocked that they cant do even this for their old parents, who gave us life, education, good health, marriage and after marriage also th ey did many things for us. Cant we do something, for them?

Not regularly, at least we must be able to do something in this good occasion? correct? toooooo bad yar.

sindmani likes this.
  10. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

hi
    we gifted new clothes and a pilgrimage package tour for our parents