Raising Indian kids in America...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, May 13, 2015.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I am not going to talk about the kids education,attitude etc etc...kids may feel comfortable where they are brought up.

However, as parents how comfortable are you raising your kids in a different environment?There is no going back to your home country once the kids are raised here.Are you ok bringing up the kids in a different world than yours?how secure do you feel.Are you ok with them not clear about your mother tongue ?

A small example..one of the teen kids I know went to china to study.he was not accepted amongst the American kids who lived there and they do not consider him American.INdian kids do seem him different and not like them.he came back to America little upset and confused coz he was neither accepted as an Indian nor an American.

Another incident,I know some parents who were upset with their kids dating and marrying kids outside their culture.they say"we are ok with our kids marrying someone who is Imdian and not from Other ethnicity".we r ok living here forever but our kids should marry only INdian?

so many other stories...

Anyways,how comfortable are you bringing up kids abroad?

2. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

How many different ways are you going to raise the same issue? You have already started multiple threads on same topic.

You have heard our thoughts and opinions. Now lets hear your thoughts and what you propose to do about it.

3 people like this.
  3. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

I dont see any wrong in anika asking the question, different people may have differnt thioughts on it, whoever want to share their views , they can respond. it is very open issue for any NRI living abroad and raising their children.
    SK

1 person likes this.
  4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Anika

First of all a parent should have faith on themselves and on they kids. It depends on how the parents bring up they kids. My family is one where we have stayed in different environment. That is we use to leave around 2 to 3 years in one country and transfer to another. Each country has different environment. After staying out for 13 years now we are back in India. But today when I ask my son who is 24 now which country you like the most.. he says India. Whichever country he went he was comfortable, welcomed in school and college/university.
    Yes he had many friends girls as well as boys of that particular country, he use to hang out with them. And we let him go becoz these are the things which will help them to learn. Where ever he went never left his values or being an India he would proudly tell that he is Indian.

Even today he is in contact with his friends, who are aussies, Egyptians, Malaysians etc……

Today he has a girlfriend who is not of our caste. But we accept her.

I would only like to tell all parents, teach our kids our values and we too change a little bit with the time. Life will sail smoothly. Even if for a small mistake that a kid does instead of making them understand, we will overact on that issue, and things will get spoilt.

I don’t say my son is a saint. He too has done many mistakes in life but yes he has learnt from them. It is the duty of the parents to teach them what is right and wrong.
    I have noticed many parents blaming the kids especially the teens, that age itself is delicate, how to handle that depends on the parents.

What they see around they learn, but each family have they own values which needs to be thought to the kids.

1 person likes this.