Where in the world are we heading

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sdiva20, Feb 28, 2015.

1. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Recently we had a spirited discussion in "http://www.indusladies.com/forums/singles-world/268355-what-are-todays-girls-thinking.html" where basically the issue was the pervasiveness of technology in our lives and the need for everyone- young and old- men and women to understand the consequences of rash/ immature behavior.

Some argued that the onus of responsible behavior laid completely on the hands of girls/ women. They also argued that men / boys faced no repurcussions. I just saw this article about a girl who encourages a teenage boy to commit sucide and then goes to raise money for "suicide prevention".

This whole over the top social media scene, selfie craze and self obsession is frightening. Anyone- a girl or a boy- can suffer at the hands of a unscruplous person. If one wants to spread awareness, maybe we need to identify the reason why these kind of incidents happen and find ways to keep out children safe rather than assign blame on either gender.

Michelle Carter 'encouraged friend to take his life then raised money in his name' | Daily Mail Online

1 person likes this.

2. rosepetals

rosepetals Bronze IL'ite

Dear sdiva20,

I totally agree with you that what is happening around us these days is really scary. There have been times when I too, have been quite scared wondering how it would be to raise my two children (a boy and a girl) in times like these.
    Though there is hardly any large scale solution for the society as such, I do believe that on a small or individual front (family level), there are few steps that can be taken. We can, as parents, try and create a safe, loving and friendly atmosphere at home so that the child needn't depend on social network to feel loved or 'like'd. We should try to make them feel at ease with us and make sure that they know that we are always there for them no matter what. It always helps if they have the secure feeling that they can come talk to us about anything.
    We may not be able to change the society as a whole, but we can definitely try to bring up confident, well behaved individuals who are aware of the pros and cons of their actions.

2 people like this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Completely agree with @rosepetals. Experience with a teen has taught me to keep my convictions aside and just listen to her. Every day she proves all my parenting theories in the early years wrong. If I am dead against something and keep haranguing her with it, she will do it just to prove a point. If I just present an opinion and leave it at that, she will have a healthy mature discussion with me. Most often our thoughts will not be radically different.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Why these incidents happen? I think most of them (not all) are premeditated. The depression doesn't take over, overnight. A person who recognizes the serious signs maybe able to assit himself or others when they see what exactly is going on. However, of late most are so self obsessed that other than our own problems, we don't pay attention to anything else.

Wnyway... Just deepely saddens right now by the passing of Leonard Nimoy.

5. docathome

docathome Gold IL'ite

I tink insecurity in children n inadequate family time play a major role here. With hectic lives n careers often children r placed on the back burner though parents try to give them many material comforts like maids, internet, encouraging being with their friends etc to fill in absent parenteeism.unluckily children grow up feeling ignored n insecure n resort to social media as a way to be liked.. Unscrupulous ppl do try to take advantage of this as well.. I think bringing up confident happy children who are aware of the risks of social media will reduce this menace.

1 person likes this.
  6. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I agree Laks. With teenagers all a parent can do is make them feel secure in the belief that you trust them and will be there for them. Trust becomes the most important factor in that time of life. In most cases where parents have open line of communication and trust will their children, kids turn out just fine.

7. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Hi rosepetals- You are already doing a great job with your kids.

I totally agree that those that look at social media for attention and love have some serious issues with lack of self worth. If one has parents, siblings and friends in real life, they wont need social media to boosting their sense ofself worth and make them feel loved.