Nightie in Public

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JanSri, Jan 28, 2015.

1. JanSri

JanSri Silver IL'ite

This is my first thread as OP so kindly bear if I ramble on...

I was shopping in one of the big chain super-markets in Bangalore and saw this lady in her nightie (just the regular printed cotton kind - nothing fancy) with a sweater over it and wandering the aisles doing her shopping with her husband. I found it offfensive.
    I have always hated the 'nightie' but do understand that it is a very comfortable piece of clothing especially in the hot summer months. But I detest it everytime I see a woman walking in the street in broad daylight flaunting her nightie for one and all to see. Its 'night'ie. Cant these people understand. I used to live abroad and still remember the huge furore created, after a woman turned up at the super-market in her velour pyjamas. And if I remember right the lady in question was banned from that particular chain of stores.
    But I have since relocated to India and for a brief period lived in a joint-family with my MIL and BIL & families. Even then I used to feel so awkward to step out of our bed-room in my night clothes in front of my in-laws (I'm the youngest DIL and some of my co-sisters only wear sarees all the time).
    Im rambling now... getting back on track.... I see it everywhere. Women coming to buy milk in the mornings. Women walking. Women dropping of children to school buses. etc etc..,. the list is endless. Some women think its acceptable to wear a nightie with a shawl or dupatta or a sweater over it in public. While some might argue that men seem to wander around with just anything that they deem fit to wear, I find it most disgusting! And thats that. Thats my todays gripe and many thanks for your patience in getting this far.

BW,
    J

P.S:
    Had been mulling over this and reading the other post relating nighties to rapes spurned me into action prompting me to write this.

8 people like this.

2. vrikshakadali

vrikshakadali Silver IL'ite

Unfortunately pretty much common in Bangalore.

3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I despise the 'nightie' as a garment. It is ugly, universally unflattering, and makes the wearer look dumpy and unkempt. My husband belongs to your ilk. He can't stand looking at them. I remember him telling me before we got married, "I never want to see you in one of those!" But I can understand why harried housewives, rushing their kids to school or fixing three meals a day, might prefer them over wrapping yards and yards of uncomfortable sarees for running errands. While I wouldn't do it myself, I don't see why it is my business to be offended by other people's choices. If they aren't breaking the law or causing public nuisance, they are perfectly within their rights to wear whatever they fancy.

Also, I've lived in the US for quite a while now and I've seen people show up to stores in all sorts of outfits I wouldn't be caught dead in! Pyjamas, furry slippers, missing undergarments - I've seen it all. Unless you're walking into Bloomies or Saks, no one cares what you wear. Yet to hear of anyone getting banned from a grocery store for dressing poorly.

10 people like this.
  4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

It does look odd but then it seems it has now become an acceptable decorum here.

Time to rename nightie as deitie(y) as it is also worn in daytime - women are anyways deity's :)

10 people like this.
  5. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Common in BLR and Mumbai too....
    Its called as "nightie".. not nightie@home, nightie@bedroom... we are living in a free country and people are free to wear anything in public.. what's the big deal

2 people like this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

A name change will solve all the problem.Put it in the lounge wear category.....A few bollywood actresses doing some dance numbers in them and it will be totally acceptable.
    Frankly speaking...to each his own.....As long as people are comfortable and not being forced to wear them....Why judge???They are far worse things to feel bad about.

7. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Senior IL'ite

Once a lady near my home came to drop her kid to school bus in sleeveless nightie with unwaxed underarms. gigglingsmiley

8. Agilas

Agilas Gold IL'ite

Its common everywhere in India even in villages. some ladies dropping their kids to school with their comfortable nightie. even i used to wear nightie but never ever cross my home with that.

1 person likes this.
  9. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

I know in India its still a little bit of a problem when women wear nightie in public but I think its okay ! As long as you put a shawl or cardigan on top. People here in US dont care what they wear when they shop, ofcourse I still cant do that for some reason but I think sometimes too much is expected out of women, I am not saying you should now roam the street in your nightie but sometimes you just dont have the time and its okay then.

(Just dont wear your sexy revealing lingerie in public)

satchitananda likes this.
  10. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I have been in a wedding in a nightie!

The story goes like this. I was invited to my cousins wedding, a very fancy event in a castle with table seating etc. I was pregnant (6th months) and the week before the wedding I roamed desperately around in the mall to try to find a fancy dress. My budget was strict as still a student at that time. Then I found the perfect dress, white, short/tight underpart and a bulkier upperpart (where I could fit my belly) and pink dots (keep in mind this was in the 80s!). A pink bag and shoes and I was all set. The wedding was fabulous, great food, music, dance and everyone was dressed very classy. Late in the evening when arrived to my cousins house I took off the dress and checked the label (looking for laundry instructions). Then I noticed that there it stated XXX (famous garment brand) nightwear. In the mall when I had been roaming around I had by mistake gone to the underwear/nightie section. So I had bought a nightie and wore it on the fanciest wedding I had ever attended ...

But back to the topic. I do not care what other people are wearing. Usually I do not notice or then I think that "I have at least the sense to not wear that" and feel good :D.

17 people like this.