Disgusting ! Disgusting ! And disgusting !

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by vidhyabaskar, Jan 22, 2015.

1. vidhyabaskar

vidhyabaskar Gold IL'ite

Incidents of sexual assault and rape on women keep happening from time immemorial. Why it happened and how it can be prevented, such discussions also keep happening from time immemorial.

The point of accusation has often been towards the woman that she wore such a provocative dress, which drew the attention of men with criminal minds , which in turn , led to the sexual assault. To prevent sexual assault a woman should not wear a dress which exposes her skin much. This argument is also not new. We keep hearing this argument so many times. But, so far I have been listening to it from men and male groups.

But, when I heard such an argument and logic from a women's group, I find their attitude and mind set disgusting ! Simply disgusting ! What could have made this group of women think, women's way of dressing is the reason for sexual assault and rapes ! Incredibly stupid and disgusting !

Nice that Navi Mumbai Police stepped in and reversed the ban order against wearing nighties in public imposed by this women's group. Here is the news :

Written by Dipti Singh
    | Mumbai |
    Posted: December 10, 2014 1:51 am

Indian Express

"Maharashtra village bars women from wearing nighties or maxis outdoors"

The next time a woman is seen wearing a “maxi” or a “nightie”
    on the roads of Gothivali village in Navi Mumbai, she could be charged a
    fine of Rs 500. This is a new diktat issued by one Indrayani Mahila
    Mandal, a local women’s group in the village, to prevent rapes and
    sexual assaults on women.

One of the members of the group, Laxmi Patil, told The Indian Express
    that “such kind” of attire worn by women outdoors is the reason behind
    all the crime happening against them. “The “maxi” (or nightie as many
    call it) has become very common these days and it looks absurd,” Patil
    said.

The women otherwise wear saree in this village. “Maxi cha fashion,
    aagi sarka pasarlay amchya gavat (the maxi fad has spread like wildfire
    in the entire village),” Patil added.

The Mahila Mandal had Sunday put up a notice board in the village
    announcing the diktat. The notice reads: “Gothivali gavatil sarva
    mahilanna hey suchit karnyaat yet aahe ki, gavatil parisarat athva
    rastyavar “maxi” ghalun phirnyaas sakt manaai aahe. Aadhalyaas Rs 500
    dund aakarnyaat yeil (all the women in Gotivali village are hereby
    informed that if any of them is seen wearing ‘maxi’ outside their homes
    in the village or walking on the roads will be fined Rs 500.)”

However, after several women in the village opposed the diktat, local police intervened in the matter.

S Gojre, senior police inspector at Rabale police station, said, “No
    gram panchayat or local mahila mandal has the right to frame such rules
    and fine villagers like this. We had a meeting with the members of
    Indrayani Mahila Mandal and have warned them against taking such steps.
    We have also confiscated the notice board.”

2. seekingbless

seekingbless Platinum IL'ite

While i agree to the fact that provocative clothes results to rape is totally unacceptable,
    and imposing fine for wearing nightie or maxi is totally nonsense too.
    but isn't it wearing nightie outside the house unacceptable too? i believe a women should dress modestly when stepping outside their house, not by wearing nightie with a towel across their bosom.
    recently i have seen a tv interview taken in rural area, only old women is wearing saree, whereas young gals to mid age women is wearing nightie.
    nightie has become they day dress.

1 person likes this.
  3. tarasharma

tarasharma Gold IL'ite

Hmmm, Maybe the mahila mandal can pay a fine of 5 lakh rupees when a woman not wearing a maxi is raped. Nonsense laws. Why do we seek to restrict everything?

4. deepideepi

deepideepi Silver IL'ite

There is no connection between nightie and rape. They should have done some awareness program to teach parents how to grow son and daughter together. In family male child is observing there whole life how their parents prohibited his sister to wear certain type of dress because she is girl, scolding her if she return home late, not allowing her to go and have fun..while male child is free to do as per their wish. This is the main reason where male child think that women are weak, they are not allowed to do as they want and so so and can be dominated..

5 people like this.
  5. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

This village group has gone to the extent of restricting women what to wear - but such arguements/ideas are common in women as well. It's not that only men have such ideas. I have personally heard many women accusing the victim's attire or behaviour that the criminal. All I could think that time was Women are first enemies to their own gender!

To all those who argue that a woman's attire is the major reason (if not the only) for sexual assaults, I want to ask, what is your theory for Child sexual abuse? Did the child didn't dress properly? Ahh, I have even heard someone saying that female children shouldn't wear short frocks/dresses!! Seriously?! Even if a 5 yr old is not dressed at all, will it provoke a human? And is it the mistake of the lil one?!

Of course disgusting!!

1 person likes this.
  6. deepideepi

deepideepi Silver IL'ite

Of course wearing nightie at day time and outside the house doesn't look good but in rural area young girls specially daughter in law are not allowed to wear even suit only sari all the time with long ghunghat and doing all the household work like that. We feel pathetic wearing sari even half and hours..

Now there is revolution in village area.. MIL have given permission to their daughter in law to wear nightie in house and for going near by place with duppata(as if it stop those staring eyes) but not suit(I don't know the reason). So, these young girls feel comfortable on wearing nightie all the time rather than wearing saree.

Info are through one lady who lives in village of north india..

1 person likes this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

2 people like this.
  8. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Typical rural BIMARU mentality...
    Sorry for offending ILites hailing from these states..

9. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Rape and nighties are not connected to each other. But human mind and those dirty/stinky thoughts are connected to each other. If you can't put a ban on those thoughts then you have no rights to put a ban on wearing nighties. Definitely disgusting.

1 person likes this.
  10. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

What kind of dress is "maxi"? I thought it meant maxidress, ie a dress that is down to the ankles. That is even more covering than a saree. Or is it some kind of different kind of garment?

Anyway, totally stupid to think that a womens dressing style causes rape.

1 person likes this.