Too ugly

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by coolsandy, Dec 20, 2014.

1. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

Social media has been filled with comments from various persons, through out the world, about the most dirtiest remark any man could ever make. "You are too ugly to rape". Person X(male) and Person Y(female) are both lawmakers in Brazil, for quite sometime now. But both have been at loggerheads since a long time, for reasons best known to them. Whatever might be the case, X commenting at Y with such atrocious comment is not acceptable to any person on this Earth.

The moment a person is born, he/she 0deserves respect, irrespective of their caste, creed, religion, sex. There are cases of female foeticides, dumping new born infants in garbage bins or at orphanages. People do it out of sheer ignorance and out of pressure or their own personal reasons. But, name calling a person and saying that "she is too ugly to get raped"???? where does that statement stand? I only wish I could bury such statements in the deepest of Never Never lands forever. Does that mean, a person would get raped because they are not ugly? How can one define ugliness? What is their scale for such definitions?

Not just people like X; I have seen atleast 4-5 persons making such stupid statements at different occasions. One of my batch mates was arrested as he attempted rape on one of his neighbors. The news spread like fire in our hostel and when one of the inmates heard this, her instant reaction was "was she that beautiful?????" I, literally, could see that she was raping the victim, with her words. How much justifiable are such statements?

When would we understand that raping a person means attacking at their self-respect and not at their body? A person rapes because sexual needs takes up piority than anything else, morals are down, revenge could be one of the reasons, seeking new avenues in pleasurable acts etc etc... just anything and everything. The moment, a person understands rape is not about beauty but about hurting one's self respect, it would be a safe world to live in. Atleast, we wouldn't get to hear such nasty comments.

3 people like this.

2. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hello coolsandy,
    This is a very serious topic which you have chosen. From time immemorial, rape has been used by man to subdue a women into submission. So the general comment (by men) was that if the victim was not ugly, then a man would desire her and hence would rape her. If she is ugly, then no man would choose her and hence no rape.

But like you said for a women, rape is not just about her body, it her self respect which has been raped. And every women, whether good, bad or ugly have their self respect.

By making such irrelevant comments like 'she is ugly', people want to shift the focus from the perpetrator of the crime to the victim. I had also read in the newspaper about a US court judgement which said that a women wearing jeans cannot be raped. These comments are not just chauvinistic but also reflect the sick mind of these men.

3 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Not just men madhuprabha....very often such comments are made by women too...I remember visiting my Mamaji's place many years back. A young working woman in their colony was kidnapped and sexually assaulted by many men for many days.....This woman returned home almost insane. ....I came to know about this when I heard my mamiji and the neighboring auntyjis discuss her. There was very little empathy...and most were interested in guessing how many men were involved and what all they must have done. I felt physically sick after hearing them.Was too young so could not even voice my opinion on the topic. Lost respect for mamiji that day.

1 person likes this.
  4. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

exactly.. I have seen many women utter such statements too.. One of my friends' neighbor had a girl child. She had eloped but that guy ditched her and without any choice she had returned home. After returning, she behaved normally and not sad and crying as people expected/ Now started taunts that she is shameless, how could she be sol bold after roaming with that guy etc etc. I, personally, felt that she had the guts to accept the reality and cope up with it as well. If that is called as shamelessness , be it so.

2 people like this.
  5. maleficent

maleficent Silver IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  6. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

@maleficent I, personally felt, it is kind of sledging. He just wants to bring her morals down.

1 person likes this.
  7. mithra3412

mithra3412 Platinum IL'ite

these type of comments shows the actual ugliness of their character doh1