Indian men do least homework

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by CrayoNess, Dec 13, 2014.

1. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

According to a study made by OECD indian men do least homework in the world. You can argue that was the study complete but it at least give an indication. Later a follow up study was made where the situation in indian immigrant families in the US were studied. The picture there was equally bleak. Even if the wife was educated and sole bread winner the men did not do housework (except looking after children). They felt ashame that their wife had to do "dirty work" as there were no maids available.

A blog article was published in the defense of the poor indian men where it was claimed the arranged marriage and other factors is the culprit.

2. maleficent

maleficent Silver IL'ite

I am an Indian woman married to an Indian guy, yesterday I attended my husband's work dinner, we were the only Indians in the group, others were all Europeans. We were talking about who does what at home, sort of thing and the interesting thing was my husband is the only guy in that group who cooks at home on a regular basis. While I admit lots of Indian guys can improve in this area, I don't think conducting studies like that does any good to anyone.

1 person likes this.
  3. CrayoNess

Organizations like UN and OECD are making studies about gender equality (and of course also many other kind of studies) as it is one important human rights key indicator.

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Could you link to the actual study? I tried searching but couldn't find the actual study. Not sure if you know but TOI is an Indian tabloid; not a source I'd look to for credible science reporting. Besides most journalists are rather poor at interpreting results of scientific studies, so I would take their opinion with a healthy dose of skepticism. You know, correlation doesn't equal causation and other such happy stuff. :)

4 people like this.
  5. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

We woman try hinting studies like this to men or discuss over them vigorously... and men give a damn... What's the point.

1 person likes this.
  6. CrayoNess

The first article I read about the study was here: The Countries Where Men Do the Most Housework - The Atlantic

From there was a link to the OECD pages but it took some time to find the original study from that place:
    Data - OECD
    India was not mentioned in that page but when you click on the data link you find an excel with all the countries including India. Only OECD countries (and countries with cooperation with OECD) were included. Korea and Turkey were quite close (21 minutes) with India (19 minutes).

2 people like this.
  7. Chachi420

Chachi420 Platinum IL'ite

Trying to find the link to the actual study, led me to the following discoveries :

(1). Link to the report : http://www.oecd.org/officialdocumen...?cote=DELSA/ELSA/WD/SEM(2011)1&doclanguage=en

PS : There's no actual study and findings but just a survey and above "working papers"

(2). Data collected over years 1998 - 2009 and for India data collected was in 1999
    Source : Page 9, foot note (1) under the barchart

(3). For India, sample size 18,591 households across 6 selected states over 3 days
    Source : Page 36

(4). There are other interesting insights included in the report, such as :
    Less than half the adults in India cook. Few people cook in India, but those who do spend a lot of time cooking.
    Source : Page 25, description of Figure 12

OECD Report published on Sept 20, 2011
    TOI Article published on March 8, 2014 (International Women's Day)

Blog published on March 12, 2014 (in response to chart published by OECD on March 7, 2014, IWD eve, referring to data from the earlier report based on data from 1999 Data - OECD)
    Maybe we should wait for an updated report before we start discussing about it :hide:

PS: Women do more unpaid work than men in ALL Countries (Source : Page 12, figure 4)

3 people like this.
  8. CrayoNess

The OECD research collected the data from different countries national surveys and for many countries the data was quite old (Denmark 2001, Estonia 1999-2000, New Zealand 1998-1999). It would be of course interesting to see more fresh data but that summary gives a good indication about the situation.

Yes, globally women still do the major share of the unpaid work and this is the reality also for example in nordic countries.

Yes, we women complain but do we teach our sons to cook, clean do laundry? Do we encourage them to move out when they grow up? Are we good role models to our [COLOR=#009900 !important]daughters[/COLOR]showing that a mother can change a flat tire, a light bulb, delegate chores to the father?

1 person likes this.
  9. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

hey chachi char so bees, this woman is a grandmother, you might want to cozy up to someone else! ;-)

wait, with that username, you might be closer in age to one of those geezers in that movie. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have heard the same complaint from my Western, African, Hispanic and Asian women friends: in short about men from all backgrounds :lol: !
    The one guy I know who does more than his equal share at home is from South America. I guess it just depends on the individual.