Facebook shares that insults women but why women share it?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by maleficent, Dec 13, 2014.

1. maleficent

maleficent Silver IL'ite

Some posts my female friends on Facebook share are so insulting to women, I don’t know why they are sharing it. The one I have quoted below is the typical example…

I am proud to be a woman but not for the things being said about us in this post. This infact makes us all sound stupid. Push instead of pulling is something some people (male/female) might do when they are in a rush but to say it’s a female thing is insulting. laughing harder when trying to explain why depends on each of our individual personalities, you laugh harder if you panic a lot or you don’t if you don’t, nothing to do with your gender.

Saying that women use fingers to count is so offensive; as someone who loves maths and has a daughter who is one of the top in her set for maths, I find this is so irritating. As an individual a woman may not be good in maths but saying it in general terms is wrong.

I can go on about this but let me stop here for the time being. I am interested to know why women share these kind of posts; do they really agree with what is says, if so don’t they think it’s insulting to women?

6 people like this.

2. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

I have seen many such posts too....it is really annoying. Also the stupid wife jokes which makes wife look like a fool....dont know why women forward it all the time.

Infact the facebook has lost its charm....people posting where they go...check in from airports, feeling blessed kind of posts tagging their spouses, making film for friends (read husbands)....women going for ladies night and again tagging....going for movies first day...again tagging... huh !! Endless list !

3 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I have stopped going to facebook because I realize a lot of my friends are stupid.Some of the stuff they post makes you want to write a strong reply ...but then that would mean spoiling your public relationship with them.

Another thing I find irritating is people giving serious health advice that has no scientific basis. One of my friend shared a piece how chewing a few tulsi leaves can cure cancer. Making such unproven tall claims is so irresponsible.

3 people like this.
  4. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

i am of the opinion that various social media have generally lower standards of user contributions. this is the age of pithy and vacuous sound bytes, which you see reflected in the kind of post your friend made. why? perpetuating tired old stereotypes is easier than thinking and making a thoughtful post which might not be popular and appealing. it's as if their self esteem depends on how many 'likes' they get :lol: also attention spans are lower. my pet peeves are those fluffy articles that condense everything in to cutesy reads, "10 things you must do for your man", "6 things for great skin', ad naseum. it reads like the laundry list your friend posted!

i understand your point. :)

aside, YM, don't know about cure, but as a habit, chewing some tulsi leaves is healthy. here, they actually have extracts of tulsi, called holy basil (hope they don't try to patent this too) in exorbitantly priced formulas. scientific studies have shown it to have powerful immunomodulatory and adaptogenic properties.

1 person likes this.
  5. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

One thing.. the post seems to be on the funny side... but don't men also do all of the above?... We all do great and silly things... Laughing over silly things is not bad but branding women brainless just because we do few silly things is annoying...

We all know how long your mentioned post would be if it was on men..

1 person likes this.
  6. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

Today I was in a mall and when I saw the ground floor crowd from 4 th floor... 90% of them were posing and remaining taking pictures of them... They don't even care what are the shops behind them ..it looked so sad(?)..seems people have stopped living real life and got stuck to virtual show- offs...

2 people like this.
  7. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I use FB mainly to stay in touch with family and closer friends. I browse through the news feed but usually ignore if the post not interesting. Sometimes I find funny jokes about women or own/other culture. It is a very tricky thing, for me it is ok to make fun of own nationality (or neighboring countries ;) if the joke is in good taste and not rude/nasty. All kind of racist stuff is a no-no - I have once commented to a "friend" who posted that kind of stuff and she took it away. Same thing with jokes about gender. Sometimes they can be funny if they are not nasty/degrading the other party.

Yes, I see my friends checking in airports all over the world (now a friend showed some pics with christmas trees in HongKong airport) but so. If they are going to some interesting place I may comment.

I use fb chat to get in touch with my children/sister as it is an easy way to talk even if we are both busy. I also use events to arrange get-togethers.

My sister complained that we are all using different communication mechanisms. To our brother telephone is the best medium, so also to my other sister, I prefer fb chat or sms. Email we use if something more complex to be shared (such as when we did the division of our mothers property and had to send all kind of paperwork).

1 person likes this.
  8. maleficent

maleficent Silver IL'ite

Yeah I am with you on the stupid wife jokes.

hahaha yeah some people do get carried away with tagging everything.

9. maleficent

maleficent Silver IL'ite

don't know... I'm too much of a chicken to ask!

10. maleficent

maleficent Silver IL'ite

I am the same, some posts really winds me up and I really want to reply with what I think but stop myself because of the same reason you have stated.

Yeah health advice that has no scientific basis is potentially very dangerous.