Can we donate even old bras to orphanages along with other old stuff ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by panda2014, Oct 16, 2014.

1. panda2014

panda2014 Silver IL'ite

I am really confused. I have really good bras which are no more usable.... but really could be used by the needy...but would it be embarassing...?? How the orphanages might consider it?

2. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

I would never ever donate my used lingerie to the needy. Gosh.... they are supposed to fit the body and if it is not fit, it would do bad than good.

3. panda2014

panda2014 Silver IL'ite

Hmmm... You are right....but then still....good quality expensive ones really could be used b the needy.....confused.......................:hide:

4. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

your call.... but be prepared to hear both good and bad.

5. panda2014

panda2014 Silver IL'ite

Other IL S no opinions?????:cry:

6. panda2014

panda2014 Silver IL'ite

Please delete the thread moderators.

7. Satyabhama

Satyabhama Guest

OP, maybe you are not aware but there is a huge global project of donating old bras from the developed countries to Africa. There are several very prestigious projects. You can find more from the links below so there is nothing wrong in your thinking so too.

The Big Bra Hunt | Oxfam GB
    Bra Recycling | Against Breast Cancer
    Drop off your bras   www.upliftbras.org   Recycling bras to women in need

I had seen a documentary on the women in Africa being very excited to buy the old bras in good condition at throwaway prices. The proceeds are used for those projects.

5 people like this.
  8. TheUnhappyWife

TheUnhappyWife Silver IL'ite

I'd never ever do it and I would never think kindly of the person doing it. Every human being deserves the basic minimum dignity which means at least undergarments should be brand new, if not the other clothes. I'd rather buy cheap UGs than donate anyone 'used' expensive one.

1 person likes this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Show it to the maid and ask her if she would be interested.If they are good and expensive, she may be interested. If she takes it...it will still be used.

1 person likes this.
  10. Satyabhama

Satyabhama Guest

Hi, that's your opinion and I respect it. I will never look down upon anyone just because they have a different view than mine on a given topic. That being said, I consider this a hypothetical question for everyone else (including all of us on this site) other than the actual, potential recipients. This question is for them to answer, if they would be OK to receive. Since they wouldn't be on this site to answer for themselves and I have never been in their place to appreciate how they would feel, the closest I could think of from their point of view, was the BBC documentary I saw where these women were all so excited to pick n choose and it was mentioned, for them it was a premium price they were paying and also that most of them were repeat buyers, whenever fresh stocks arrived. Before watching that documentary I had never even thought about it.I wouldn't be surprised if we saw bins in our malls or a delivery address where we can ship to, some day in future, to donate, just like they have them abroad. Change happens one step at a time, we like it or not, this thread is maybe one step in that direction, just a different view for you to consider.

3 people like this.