1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Innocent Doubts :)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by coolsandy, Sep 17, 2014.

1. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

When I was in my early teens, we lived in a neighbourhood where there were very small and congested homes. And there were joint families living in those homes too. So, that entire street was filled with people.. just people, ranging from infants to kids to teenagers to adults to old people. We grew up attending many annas'/akkas' marriage ceremonies, or teenage girls peddamanishi functions, seemantham functions, odubiyyam functions, naamakaranams, and just many many more. It was just part of our life.

Most of the times, when some anna/akka got married, they had a child within one year. And in the next two years, there was another child. There were atleast 10-15 akkas and annas in that street. So, the street population used to increase by 2 every year. And I took it for granted that, that is how it is supposed to be.

Here comes the silly part. One of such annas got married. And it was almost two or three years and they never had a child of their own. I have absolutely no idea what they went through, how their neighbours/their own family members reacted. But in all my innocence, and with a thought in my mind that getting a child immediately after marriage was important, I has asked my mom, "mummy... is that anna not planning to have kids????????"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... And I still remember the expressions that I had given that time. Completely confused and not really understood why they haven't got a child yet................

lol... my mom was a little taken aback but still burst out laughing. She laughed and laughed and laughed. And again I was in shock. She then replied to me "why are you bothered about that??????????" and I was still confused. Lol....

P.S: After an year, anna had a baby boy. :) Was as I at peace????? I really can't recollect.

6 people like this.

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

CS - hilarious one. Couldn't control laughing, luckily no one is around :):):)

1 person likes this.
  3. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

thank you for your comments, GG.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

As long as you didn't ask why the anna's were not having peddamanishi functions. :)

Nice sweet recall.

2 people like this.
  5. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

yeah.. I atleast, had that sense.. God saved me from that embarrassment.

btw, that peddamanishi function reminds me of few more incidents. There were quite a few age groups in that lane, who played within themselves and almost all the groups has both girls and boys playing together. So, there was one such group, which had 8-11 year old kiddos. One of their female friend became peddamanishi and then it was a tragedy/confusion to her male friends and happiness/enlightenment to her female friends. And since, the word spreads like fire, everyone in that area was aware of this news. One of such boys, who is a common friend of that girl and my younger sister, comes to me and tells me "akka.. aame peddamanishi ayindanta...(akka.. she is peddamanishi now )" ... that was my turn to get embarassed

lol... can never forget such sweet incidents...

6. Tavishi25

Tavishi25 Gold IL'ite

Lol.... Really enjoyed reading your post....
    Rihana your question makes me laugh more.
    innocent doubts