How much time do you spend on IL and social networking sites every day?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Ragini25, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

How much time do you spend on IL and other social networking sites (facebook, twitter, Whatsapp chat, SMS-group-chats and plenty other ones) every day? Be it via computer or mobile devices etc.

For me - I think total (all social networking incl Whatsapp etc) is about 1 hour a day. I'd like to reduce it to 30 mins a day, so I can get time for more productive and rewarding real world things, but not yet achieved it to 30 mins per day. In progress LOL :)

6 people like this.

2. aabcii

aabcii Gold IL'ite

Good Move .. I used to spend almost a hour in morning and 30 mins in evening .. Trying to reduce it tooo :)

3. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

I am online during my office hrours.. and referesh them in between some time and read all posts. IT makes me help my working pressures and brings a smile on my face.

FB is blocked also I don't miss fb these days. IL is enough for mefriendssmiley

2 people like this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I will be online 24 hrs with my mobile devices, and from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm (Mon-Fri) in my office PC.

I refresh the page and post, click a like, or chat every now and then whenever I need a break from my casual office work if I am on my seat. Basically I would write or edit a report all the time at office.

However, if I am at the meetings (frequently) or at lunch or in an important discussion, I would completely avoid this. I am very well able to manage this without being addicted to it. So, I don't lose anything at office or private life with this so far. Any social updates can wait till I find a break and need to refresh them.

When I am at home (basically the weekends or holidays) I rarely open them. I may go to FB or whatsapp when there is a notification in advance for a chat or add... But my preferred time would be at night when everyone settles in bed/rest. May be for 15-30 mins on weekend nights, if I am not engaged with anything else, I would browse them and go to sleep eventually.

2 people like this.
  5. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

i don't have FB. Whatsapp only with limited friends. IL is always open and helps me refresh myself in between meetings, and all the technical stuff. I would total of around 1-2 hours a day on IL. Would like to reduce it though.

6. JigsSM

JigsSM Silver IL'ite

I am also online on IL whenever I am in office or used to check it in evening. Generally whatsapp is on 24 hours but i do not check it regularly. FB is also once in 2 -3 days. Actually i m bored of FB, these days IL is enough for me.
    Usually if i calculate i am almost many hours online on social networking sites and IL. But if i am really buys in office i do not open any sites but thats very rare.

1 person likes this.
  7. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

I'm disconnected from the world when I'm at work, enter and kaboom the time flies, luckily I work in one of the most flexing, awesome and trendy projects so for me it is very difficult to get out from office in the evenings, another few mins, please another few mins (like a kid playing a video game) once my manager literally yelled - "I WANT U OUT NOW! GO, another 5 min I see you I will pull that plug off your monitor".

I'm the most happiest workaholic from 8 to 5 PM.

I adore, love, aah! those who know me are aware that once I'm in the building totally severed with what happens behind the glass, NO browsing the web/ NO answering personal calls, I don't know the world around, least bothered.

On a typical day when I feel like connecting with the world — in the evenings I don't categorize time for IL , whatsapp, walking, friends, that way I am 5 hours on IL, 5 hours on whatsapp tapping away, 5 hours watching iPlayer, 5 hours talking/skyping to friends, 5 hours reading, digging, swishing something in parallel, 5 hours browsing the net , so it is difficult to say how much I spend on a particular task. Most of the evenings I'm shopping, reading IL, whatsapp-ing, you get the drift .

Like now I'm watching documentary on army ants , texted an essay on "why I think Mulder is cuter than Brosnan" (thanks to Gauri for evoking those old debates) to my friend and posting here.

From 7:00 to 12:00, 5 hours, I'm all over the place in everything.

P.S: On a atypical day when I'm totally lost in myself and my spacetime explorations, I even fail to notice if my battery is drained in phone.

1 person likes this.
  8. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

I'm not (active) on FB but that time is well-compensated by sending 3 page personal emails to friends discussing Grace Jones singing skills in the night.

Again people will vouch that my catenary emails slightly warp their inbox.

9. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Out of curiosity, is it not what you are doing on these sites rather than how much time you are spending on these sites that matters?

As long as one can be productive and happy, what is wrong in spending time virtually on FB, IL or anywhere.

3 people like this.
  10. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Good replies folks. Keep them coming.

Aria - interesting to read ur replies. And ur right, that as long as its productive, no harm. What I mentioned as target was just a personal goal of mine to free up time from online world to go from an hour to 30 mins