Spectacles

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by coolsandy, Sep 15, 2014.

1. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

I have been using spectacles for quite sometime now. And I use contact lenses sometimes. I am not against lasik or such surgery but not preferring it for some reason, best known to me.

But whenever I meet new people, I hear them giving a free, unsolicited advice. Why don't you go for lasik? There are so and so hospitals where a my friend got her surgery done and she is so happy. These people could be new colleagues, complete strangers, or just any Tom, Dick And Harry.

I am really getting sick of this. Why do people interfere in others personal choices? And why give advice when it is least expected. To some people I tell them, "let's see" or "I am okay with this".. but yes, it is very irritating to even reply to such people.

I know I don't have to bother about it but could there be any thing I could say to them so that they wouldn't bother to poke me repeatedly??

2. nirmalsivagami

nirmalsivagami Silver IL'ite

just say don't talk to me about my looks hereafter in a polite way..if they repeat tell something about them..their looks and ask them "have i ever asked you about this and change it?..so please stop bothering for myself!!"

3. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

i tried it.. but people are like .. we are telling for your good only.. n all that

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Just tell them, "Didn't you know? The geek look is so in right now! Specs are the hottest accessory". Many people do wear non prescription glasses as fashion accessories. See this article on glasses. It's two years old but the trend is still holding strong. :)

2 people like this.
  5. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Yes, it is human tendency to give advice and suggestion , poke noses to others business.
    Say, I am glad you are thinking about me . Thank you for your suggestion!

2 people like this.
  6. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

CS tell them they look beautiful through your glasses :) and that's why you prefer that...

3 people like this.
  7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Do you say, oh really? or lets see as though you are really unaware of these choices? Maybe that is misguiding them..maybe with a good intention of guiding you they are going on and on about it?

If it is a stranger or some fellow you dont care about, say, 'It is very rude to make personal remarks. Stop it.'

If it is a colleague or a friend you care about, interrupt them with, 'I know! But I prefer my glasses only.' smile and then change the subject to movie, weather or some other interesting topic so they dont start poking more, 'why' 'why do you prefer glasses' and all.

1 person likes this.