Advice on makingWill or Living trust

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by things4sahana, Aug 28, 2014.

1. things4sahana

things4sahana New IL'ite

Hi ,
    I am planning to write will or Living trust.I live in US.

What will be the best option for the family of 4(parents-GC holders, and kids are citizens of USA)

I heard about Living trust, and will, but not sure what to choose.

Any of you have done this, and should I approach paralegal or attorney services?

2. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

You should have a Living revocable Trust. A will would become void in certain conditions. You can have a will in combination with a Trust but Trust would own everything and would take precedence.

It might cost you some, but going to attorneys might be the best. Ask around for a good one and someone has used.

It should be a living revocable trust with an incapacity clause. The below website might help you with researching more on the subject.

Suze Orman Resource Center : Wills and Trusts : Personal Financial Guru : Can I Afford it : Suze Show

Also, please come back and post after you are done with this, so it might help others.

2 people like this.
  3. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

My husband and I have a living will. We had it made when we were both GC and son was a baby (Citizen) - similar to your case.

We used the services of a legal company. Gives options on rights of parents / grandparents etc, financial

Did it mainly because somebody told us that if something we to happen to us, our son, being a ciitizen of the US, would become a ward of the state and would not automatically go to next of kin (since we do not have any immediate family in the US who are citizens).

You should certainly consult a family lawyer, and have legal papers drawn up.
    All the best

1 person likes this.
  4. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

DKI: Wonderful pointers on something's I have been pondering on. Especially if something happens to both of us what will happen to my kid. To make a will here is it necessary to have a GC? Also (touchwood nothing happens), if something happens to us how will anyone know we have the will. Will the lawyers be telling? I am just confused. I know negative thoughts are not good but it better to secure the life for our kids than doing nothing.

5. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

6. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Our families know we have a will and what the contents are. And it is kept at home itself. We have moved from the place where we were when we set it up, so no lawyer anymore.

You do not need to be a green card holder to make the will. IMO anybody who is in this country and has a kid born here should for the security of that child have a will.

7. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Im new to this but if you and your spouse are Indian Citizens and kid is US Citizen by birth and you have immovable properties in India, would you still need a will/living trust? We have no properties(except our cars) here in the US. We have been hearing a lot about this recently. Should we nominate a local guardian in that case? What if you dont have family here?

8. things4sahana

things4sahana New IL'ite

Exactly the same reason i am looking out for options-for kids sake.

Thank you DKI.

9. things4sahana

things4sahana New IL'ite

Hi Ramyav_cse,

I am in the process of contacting an attorney services..will answer your questions after my meeting.

10. things4sahana

things4sahana New IL'ite

Thank you FromMars.

Question: Since each state has its own law,do i need to work with an attorney in the state where I live or the state where I have properties?I moved to east coast last yr?