Dealing with colleagues talking to me but not facng me directly

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by people0skills, Aug 26, 2014.

1. people0skills

people0skills Bronze IL'ite

Another personality development thread. :)

So, do we actually have a verb for such act? someone talking to me, about me but not facing me directly. The incidents are like this.

There is this colleague of mine and whenever there is a conversation, or most of the times, when it revolves around me, he/she tends to face other person and speak about me. The intentions are crystal clear - venting out, making fun of me, taunting me. I am really not sure if they speak about me in my absence, but I always think that if I am around and I am the topic of conversation, why not face me directly. And most of the times, what I say also goes into thin air for whatever reason. They are more loud.

or there could be a topic which I am not well versed with, so I keep mum. And one goody goody colleague says, "why don't you talk something??" and next comes a conversation which I can talk about and when I do that the same colleague is making long faces and kinda taunts or pokes. But since I can talk about that topic I can easily vanish that taunt by another taunt/fact and that keeps them mum. But that kinda increases the rift. I cannot afford to see those long, sulking faces.

Gawd.. I am desperately trying to improve myself and need a solution to all such incidents.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    Umanga likes this.

2. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

where on earth is this company that flourishes this forum so gracefully!

3. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Skills,

Are you sure you are not dismayed with those , those , those (wink) people in the cafeteria who chew their food loud, thud the forks and spoons while eating, who do they think they are, those B-people, Gawwdd! what a noise they make.

You seem to be of one of those nice, kind and sweet souls in this forum, can you help me here, been thinking how to tackle this problem but you seem very matured, observant, mind-your-own-business kind of kindred ingénue. What is your analysis , suggestion?

3 people like this.
  4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

There seems a big flaw in the location of the Corporate Office as per Vaasthu :)

5. people0skills

is there any pun intended here?

Aria: if someone doesn't know etiquette, it is none of my business. I really wouldn't care about it.

I once faced this incident, where there was a meeting with one of the senior officials which was followed by lunch in one of the five star hotels. I had started eating my food, esp, salads, with fork and knife and I am comfortable with that. But there were these one or two persons, who said aloud "you seem to be a patient one... how can one eat with fork and knife, we can never so that stuff.. blah blah blah". I just listened and just nodded my head. That is none of my biz to argue with them. I had similar stares when I had requested the stewardess for a dessert spoon. I really didn't care about those ugly stares. Again, none of my business.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    Umanga likes this.
  6. people0skills

Alright.. Aria, do you by any chance, intend to say that, it is not my business too..esp when a colleague behaves in such manner? :D

7. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

No, no , no, jeez! nothing of that kind, pun, fun, tun, blimey! I am too simple-minded to devise that crafty sly in my writing. Moreover I'm too timid , even more online, I'm scaredy-puss. No ulterior, underhand, backhand, invisible-hand encrypted message.

My post was directed at a playful vole who ploughs threads with her one-liners, as a wink you know that thing friends do when they want to convey a message from distance , wink-aha!

Your grave problems need expert guidance, I'm afraid I'm inexperienced in this field so will take leave hoping that the alacritous members will untangle your gnarly problems.

3 people like this.
  8. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Lol - that line was not directed at you A' - probably more to me and a little to R :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Hate it! Which means I did not try hard! (was it too de-punned?)

4 people like this.
  10. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Mannaar and Mannaar company
    specialize in imports and exports

1 person likes this.