Poking into my personal interests

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by people0skills, Aug 26, 2014.

1. people0skills

people0skills Bronze IL'ite

As mentioned in my other threads, I am very much trying to develop my inter-personal skills and all the threads would be related to enhancing my social/office interactions, dealing/handling people etc.

So, this time, it is entirely about those colleagues who poke into my interests. I have a naturally beautiful hair and try out many hair styles or for that matter even different lip shades or apparels. so, 70% of the times when I meet a new person, and the conversation has already started, they would ask me what do you apply to your hair... it is so glossy... the question pops out of nowhere. Though I am little shocked, I tend to reply some common shampoo name or based on the person I am talking to it would be "its natural, you see" and that goes into a take-it-easy thing between us both. but there are a few, who pester a lot. When I say some shampoo name, they just extend the conversation, like "we also use it, we never get it.. there must be something else.. u r not sharing with us".. blah blah blah and long faces.. I can't stand that....

sometimes, I make up so many stories out of thin air to avoid the discussion but next time, it would be the same thing again. I have had those kind of "vow.. you have a great hair" kind of compliments right from my childhood, but never really cared for it.. i always replied "thank you.." but no one really pestered me about the so called secret. But in offices, people really get bold, I don't know how. May be my hair stands more prominent than my other features but there is no reason to put me under pressure to reveal the "secret".

What I am trying to understand is, how do I evade/answer such questions elegantly and diplomatically that the same person should think twice before they ask me the same question.

And those ladies who have poked me are the ones who have smooth/soft skin, milky white skin or big beautiful eyes, naturally pink lips or women with no prominent features or a plain Jane or anyone, just anyone. I am not pointing out anyone's features here, but how decent would it be to ask them back, "what do you do to get such smooth skin or such pink lips or whatever". I am really getting embarrassed even as I type that. But, is there a more decent way to frame those type of reply questions?

Also, my hair stylist charges me in 4 digit and I really do not want to reveal those details to every tom, Dick and Harry I meet. That would be a disaster again.

That being one of the questions, the other things people ask me is, do you think those kind of trousers/salwars suit women of your size or physique? Or, When I had a break up with my ex or took a divorce from my husband, I wanted a change so, I had a hair cut exactly as yours. Gawd... I later understood that these were more of taunts and only intention is to put me down. Again, I do not meet such people on my own, but they literally come and strike a conversation with me just from nowhere. My question again is, how to deal diplomatically with such people?

Umanga likes this.

2. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

I am not sure why you are upset if someone ask you what you do for hair, skin etc. It's normal tendency to follow something which looks better and het similar. Nothing is wrong. If they ask you shampoo , answer them. If they say why it doesn't work on them you can say politely it depends on individual etc. regarding your hair cut, why to mention 4 digit of cost, you can just mention the saloon name. I hope if you are paying 4 digit for hair, it must be very upscale saloon. You don't need to upset for this. Similarly to dress or any attire. I understand your concern when some one stare you but why to mind. Even I have good hair texture which is natural and people ask me about that (even my American client) and they directly use which color do you use? I just tell them it's my natural color and I apply Henna once in a month. That's it.
    Honestly I feel proud and very happy if someone ask me about my hair or soft skin.

Similar to this, I started working in Delhi where I have all my Punjabi friends who spend half of their salary in dress, accessories , parlor etc. I too was doing this and was spending my salary in dresses, accessories etc. When I moved to one of southern metro , where most of the female colleagues were very simple as compare to me. And they were also asking me, 'very nice dress..from where did you buy or must be very expensive etc. I had only one answer, I got this from Delhi..no no not very expensive (if some one asking me cost, I was just telling I don't remember) kind of answer.
    But I never felt offensive instead proud and happy.

Just to share a incident, within few weeks of my marriage I had to attend my DH's friend marriage. Since I was not aware about culture, I wore one of my expensive and heavy Saree . When I reached venue , me and DH was shocked after seeing bride's Saree it was simple (from our perspective). Few of my DH friends were even teasing me that it looks like today is your marriage not ABC's. Initially I was little upset then I took it as I am looking beautiful than bride :) :)

3. people0skills

I am not upset about it but only trying to see how diplomatically I could answer them.

Yes, that is a very good tactic but guess what I get long, and sulking faces when I reply the same. They, in fact, turn to other person in the group, and start saying, "see, she doesn't want to share anything details.. she is scared that we might follow her" or some taunts like that. I feel these are very unusual things in a professional environment and I have started hating those kind of conversations.

I can see you smiling even as you typed that :) :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  4. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Ignore them or go the other way. Just start criticizing your own hair (oh it is bad, it is getting thinner by the day, losing it by the dozens etc) and start appreciating their hair (however bad they may be). Soon their conversation will stop.

I have a neighbor who was pesky always criticizing everything she has - her hair, figure, dresses, husband etc and appreciating mine. My DH told her to start appreciating her and criticizing mine. Soon her own criticism vanished. Some people are like that.

sindmani and people0skills like this.
  5. people0skills

aah.. now I remember a similar incident. I had this good colleague of mine, who had Amul's salted butter complexion and I have a typical brownish skin tone. During a conversation, someone had told her that she is fairer than so and so xyz person to which I involuntarily replied "yeah.. that is true" and she did this thing to me. guess what, she put both our arms together and said, "oh come on, you are more fairer than me." lol.. now, that is called diplomacy.. I should have got my lesson from that incident.

sindmani likes this.
  6. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

is work from home an option?:mrgreen:

16 people like this.
  7. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Daaaa-rn! Why don't I get such bright ideas for dark, twisted and complex problems!

(To let you know - clicked "like" 4 times, notice my name appears more bold than rest)

2 people like this.
  8. MrsBV

MrsBV Gold IL'ite

i wonder how you continue to be shocked in spite of the fact that you are asked this question 70% of times when you first meet a person...

1 person likes this.
  9. people0skills

oh yes... you are right.. I should be used to it by now... I usually tend to oversee such things and take it for granted that no one would be asking me.

I am telling you, it is an eye opener. I should be matured enough to understand that such questions might pop up and I should always be ready for an appropriate reply.

10. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Radhai and Aria,
    now cmon!
    ...and lose opportunity to attain enlightenment? :)
    :)

2 people like this.