Mobile lost!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Nithya39, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Nithya39

Nithya39 Senior IL'ite

I lost my Samsung Galaxy mobile in my parking lot. Is there anyway i can trace the thief?

I had filed a complaint with the local police station too. But no FIR was filed. And when i asked whether this complaint can be forwarded to cyber cell, i was told that day-in and day-out many mobiles are lost and retracing is almost nil.

Do anyone know how to track the mobile with imei number?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

2. rajinitk4

rajinitk4 IL Hall of Fame

Please get an FIR copy of your complaint and you can track your mobile using IMEI number by contacting ur Cellular network provider with FIR copy and IMEI number they can help u trace the mobile. One of my friend who lost her phone got it back using IMEI tracing only.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. kishoreg

kishoreg Gold IL'ite

IMEI tracing helps to some extent but one cant rely soley upon it
    somecases it might work

FOR SAMMY MOBILES. it might help you in disabling the confidential data
    Find My Mobile | Samsung Content & Services go through this and register

for that you need to already have enabled locate my device in your mobile...

OR if you purchased insurance when you bought your mobile, with the registered fir try to approach the insurance company they might help you in getting atleast 50-60 percent of the mobile cost

1 person likes this.
  4. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

The information I heard is : The Cellular Service Provider does not do anything if the company's SIM is switched off. Tracking of the handset through IMEI number is technically possible, definitely. For a normal customer like you and me, they don't take the trouble. But, if a law enforcing agency like Police formally writes to the service provider, then they do track it.

I heard that by tracking IMEI number, both of the following can be done

1) the mobile handset can be disabled so that no one can use it
    2) it can be traced exactly where it is. But as I mentioned above, it is normally not possible for common man, as technology and expenditure is involved in it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. rajinitk4

rajinitk4 IL Hall of Fame

hmm I agree with you darmesh. Here my friend had some known persons in the cellular service provider company and she took help from them.

6. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

That is right. Unless some one there is personally known to us, they normally don't care , for complaints of lost phones !

7. rainbowresh

rainbowresh Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I have a history of losing three mobiles so far and touch-wood the list will not exceed 3.
    I had all these mobile tracking softwares of different kinds an all. One of them still send msgs to DH as to which Sim card is now in the set and the proper details etc. BUT of no use¡!!!!!!!!!
    See if you are some VIP the police MIGHT track ur phone at a snap second but they won't for general public. Even if you track it, it will most probably be out of ur station. Even if you succeed in finding the name address and details of present user, legally u cannot take any action because none of these softwares stand as a legal proof.
    Now all you can do is to activate a locking system or erase all data system or app IF and only IF u had it already installed and active already.
    After you loose a phone u can basically do nothing unless the person who took it, gets back to u like a gentleman(rare to find).
    So give up hopes and get urself another phone.
    Go back to the police station and insist on a general diary / FIR saying the cell connection needs it to give a duplicate SIM card. Both with airtel and Vodafone I could just call them in a customer care number and block the sim card for the number. Coz the person with ur phone can misuse it, putting u in trouble. Then get a duplicate Sim after submitting a copy of FIR along with a covering letter.

2 people like this.
  8. littl

littl Platinum IL'ite

Congrats Nithya for getting New mobile .... :crazy

lol JK .. you can't get your Samsung mobile back once lost.
    EMI number can be changed so easily in the black market. So take a deep breath and take it easy. from next time be cautious and try to use useful apps like rainbowresh mentioned if needed :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Nithya39

Nithya39 Senior IL'ite

Thanks kishoreg,

I tried registering in the site, but somehow it was not proceeding further. Thought my location settings were on in the lost mobile, i had not done the exclusive setting which are mentioned in the website.

10. Nithya39

Nithya39 Senior IL'ite

Is it possible even to change IMEI number???