Solo vacations- yay or Nay!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by nuss, Mar 25, 2014.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

How many of you go on a solo vacation (sans your partner)? We usually plan one trip a year with our friends. My DH loves hiking and nature photography, so he goes with his best buddies for a week and I visit my friends and go for shopping trips or just chill out.
    Last year was tricky with our newborn. Still, I bought my DH a spot in photography workshop. We both know the instructor, a well known insect photographer, and I made sure to keep it as a surprise (I told the instructor to not send any emails to my DH until his birthday). My DH was thrilled because 1) the workshop was in Belize and 2) something he wanted to take that workshop for a while. But he was also worried about how I’d take care of the baby for 10 days on my own and I assured him it will be fine. Similarly, when my friend invited us over for her kids birthday party (she is in CA), my DH made a point that I should go and have fun.
    For his birthday this year, I bought him a trip to Europe. Again, one of his friends was going to Europe and looking for a travel-mate and I asked him if my DH could come along. It’s not a surprise gift this time because I wanted DH to plan it with his friends. He asked his another friend and now all 3 of them going away for 10 days. Again, he was feeling guilty if leaving with the toddler but I reminded him that my parents will be here at that time anyway.
    I know my PILs don’t think it’s a good idea. They believe that we should always take trips as a family. And I agree except for the ‘ALWAYS’ part. We do take family trips, usually short getaways because of little one. Before our baby was born, we used to go on longer vacations together and in last 5 years we’ve been to India (twice), Europe, South America, Latin America and Thailand. We are already planning our next India + Bali trip for either later this year or next year. I know the parents’ generation is different and their view is certainly different from ours.
    I was talking to one of my friends yesterday. She and her husband will be in Chicago at the same time my DH is away. I told her that I’ll be more than happy to have them over and also mentioned that DH won’t be home. She was very surprised to hear that he is going on a solo vacation. I was wondering why married couples should always do things together? Not only travelling, we do most of our shopping on our own as well. My DH doesn’t like shopping much and I love love shopping. Instead of torturing him to come with me, I go solo and enjoy it while he takes care of the baby. When he ventures out for photography, I take care of the baby (sometimes we do go together).
    This is an excerpt from an article on the same issue 9solo traveling):
    “So, are separate vacations a good idea? Ian Kerner, a sex and relationships counselor and the best-selling author of She Comes First and Sex Recharge, wishes more couples would take them. "I certainly think [separate vacations] would be an excellent trend because absence does make the heart grow fonder."
    Far from being a symptom of a troubled relationship, Kerner says solo vacationing is often quite the opposite: "I think it's cool to be able to travel separately — it's an indication that you're in trusting, safe, secure relationship," he says.”
    What do you all think? Are we a weird couple or it’s a lot more common than it seems?

6 people like this.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Yay! Love your post!

Totally agree with you. We have done solo trips alone or with other friends in the past. It totally recharges our relationship, I feel.Some places we've been to separately have been brilliant that we've made another trip again together.

Since our interests are really different we end up doing things(shows sport etc) with other like-minded people anyway. It is striking the balance about what we do together and what we do by ourselves which is important

having said this, since my little one was born 3 years ago I've sort of been stagnating. Time to get my man to babysit and don my travelling cloak...

1 person likes this.
  3. anuram09

anuram09 IL Hall of Fame

By thread title I thought traveling alone. I love to travel alone. Till now I am blessed going to tirumala alone by walk. I want to go kinnauri alone by this year end. God please show some mercy kneesmiley !

1 person likes this.
  4. pinkRoseBud

pinkRoseBud Gold IL'ite

Definitely yay!!
    we have been married for an year now but have not been alone anywhere. But its definitely worth doing..
    :goodidea:

1 person likes this.
  5. funbee

funbee Silver IL'ite

Solo Vacation Yay!:cool2:

I never had one ....Only time i am alone is when i drive to work.:cry:

2 people like this.
  6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi

I always travel alone with family and friends but not hubby included. He accompany us very rarely. It is not that he doesn't travel he does just for company work, a workaholic person.
    In case we have him in our holiday trips, OMG he is always on his lappy or phone giving instructions and other possible work. I am alwaysWitsend so best thing is leave him alone and go.
    So I always plan leaving him and going alone with someone else. It is not that he is angry with me becoz I go alone, but he is very happy that I don't disturb him, he will give you how much ever I want ...hahaha as long as he is not disturbed in his work:)
    Next month I am off on a holiday for a month with my cousins and friends. Have lots of plans for the month of April:)

2 people like this.
  7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Guesshoo. You are so right about feeling recharged. A little break from routine is all that we want sometimes. I am sure you'll soon be able to travel solo again. 3 year old makes a good travel companion :)

8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Yes, it is, PRB! I had excellent time with family in India last year. My DH had to cancel the trip because of some work related conflict and my family and I (mostly my family) didn't have to worry about keeping him entertained for 3 weeks. win win situation :)

9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

LOL, sometimes even that half hour break is worth!

10. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I am sure you're going to have fun! Those cell phones and laptops are so frustrating. My DH and I were that way, we used to check our emails all the time while on vacation and then worry about stuff at work. In 2009 we went to Europe for the first time. It was a work+ pleasure trip. We decided to leave our laptops at the hotel in AMS because we're returning there after our France and Belgium trip. That was the best decision we ever made (other than marrying each other ;)). Since then we travel without technology and love the freedom of not knowing what's going on at work.