Woman's dressing sense are to be blamed for rape ???

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Aug 30, 2013.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I was TOTALLY against that but an elderly lady sat me down and explained a little something..

She CLAIMS dressing is definitely ONE of the reasons for rape.well, when a woman dresses provocatively..she turns on the hormones in a man who in turn try to sexually abuse her.when he knows he cannot do anything to her (as she just attracts him and is unreachable),to satisfy his lust he attacks some victim when he gets hot.It does not matter if it is a child,old woman or even a male child.
    For him all he needs is to satisfy his needs.
    By the way,why do some women dress provocatively?to look sexy?to make the guys drool over them right?

This is what she told me.

I could not get angry with her coz she is a very wise and good woman.Hence,It got me thinking.

what are your thoughts?

1 person likes this.

2. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Is it true that women get turned on when they see a guy in just shorts or topless or whatever less?Does the man turn on the woman harmon in her that she goes and fiddles with male child out there?Just a question from a wise friend of mine.

10 people like this.
  3. darkrosegirl

darkrosegirl Senior IL'ite

Well said bhuvnidhi:)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

There is no need to take offense .I just wanted to share the thoughts of that elderly lady .Even I do not agree that woman's dressing is always a turn on.I just wanted some opinions so that it would help woman safeguard themselves.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. utopia

utopia Bronze IL'ite

Anitha,

Please stop listening to the old lady if you can. Ask her to open her eyes and see what the new generation is like. Her generation gap makes her talk stuff like this, which is utter nonsense!

sindmani, letstalk and arch1209 like this.
  6. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I agree in some cases, If a woman lives in a society with a high number of rapes she should not dress in small clothes or purposely show too much skin. It is not a nice thing, but it is reality. Women and men have different ways of thinking and while not all men are bad why take the risk? I also know that even children are begin raped and that anyone who rapes anyone has a serious mental problem. As women we are given the responsibility of protecting ourselves and our children. It is just a fact of life that some people are disgusting and everyone should be cautious. Some ladies dress like they are in Las Vegas 365 days a year and then wonder why men give them negative attention... There will always be rapes, that wont leave the world any time soon.. I understand that in a perfect world we could all dress however we want to and not fear anything negative but we do not live in a perfect world and we have to be careful...

9 people like this.
  7. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

8. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Common myths about rape courtesy Common misconceptions about rape (Maybe you can educate the elderly lady about myths associated with rape) If she still thinks otherwise, maybe you can turn into Munnbhai and do some Gandhigiri and tell her "Get Well Soon!"

Here are some of the most common myths that surround rape and sexual assault:
    Myth Do not go out alone at any time. Women are most likely to be raped outside, in dark alleyways late at night. This is the best way for a woman to protect herself.
    Fact The suggestion of avoiding walking alone, especially at night is a common suggestion to avoiding sexual assault. However, only 9% of rapes are committed by 'strangers'. Women are raped in their homes and in their work places where they are less likely to be believed and even less likely to report. This myth can control movements and restricts freedom. This can feel like women are living under a 'curfew' and that it is a woman's responsibility to be either in or out at certain times. Around 90% of rapes are committed by known men.

Myth Women who are sexually assaulted 'ask for it' by the way they dress or act, rape only happens to young women.
    Fact Many women are led to believe that if they are not part of a certain category of women then they are 'safe' from being raped. Women and girls of all ages, classes, culture, ability, sexuality, race and faith are raped. Attractiveness has little significance. Reports show that there is a great diversity in the way targeted women act or dress. Rapists choose women based on their vulnerability not their physical appearance.
    Sometimes women see themselves as 'unworthy' or 'undesirable' because of their age or physical appearance and therefore 'safe' from rape. Some men joke or make comments about women's appearances or age to indicate whether she is sexually desirable or available, or as part of their defence in court, saying he thought 'he was doing her a favour', using her appearance or age. Women are raped from the age of three to ninety three. Rape is an act of violence not sex.

9 people like this.
  9. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

This is getting tiresome.

1) Let's not automatically assume age always brings wisdom. Yes, we should respect our elders, but respect doesn't mean we should switch off our brains or critical faculties. We don't have to pick a fight with everyone who disagrees with us, but we also have a responsibility not to blithely repeat or absorb harmful ideas and opinions.

2) I cannot understand why men are portrayed as slavering animals, completely at the mercy of their hormones. In fact, if I was a man, I would be very offended at the assumption that the mere flash of a woman's ankle or hint of cleavage would turn me into an out-of-control sex beast. Normal adult men with evolved, mature sexual lives and ideas are usually in control of themselves sexually. The men who are not, are part of a larger problem that has very little to do with sex. Yes, women should be careful, but so should any person venturing out into the world. It can be exhausting to be perpetually vigilant about how you dance, look, dress, speak, walk, live... the responsibility for crimes committed ultimately rests with the criminal, not the victim.

3) I am pretty conservative, and dress accordingly. But I admire women who are confident enough to make bolder fashion choices. I don't judge them, and I certainly don't simmer in a cauldron of jealousy of my own making. It seems to me that the issue of rape and ill-treatment of women is being used (not necessarily by you, Anitha) as a cover to pass judgement on women who would make different clothing (or career, or hobby, or lifestyle, or entertainment...) choices than the rest of us. This is petty and mean, and we are doing a disservice to our sisterhood. This "She-got-what-was-coming-to-her" mentality is repugnant, and it saddens me that victim-blaming shifts the focus from the wrongdoer to the wronged.

4) It is human nature to try to make sense of great tragedy or horror by distancing ourselves from the victim. It's a simple self-defence mechanism: Yes, she may have been raped, but that could never happen to me, because I don't dress/walk/talk like that. However, let's see this mechanism for what it is, instead of using it as an opportunity to bash someone who has already suffered enough victimization and brutality.

5) The old woman's grand theory of displaced sexual rage and frustration makes no sense at all. Again, it would take a man with the impulse control of a 2-year-old to rape uncontrollably just because he has been exposed to naked flesh. The solution to this problem lies with the motives and act of rape and the rapist. Asking women to take a hundred precautions on the off-chance that they could inflame the passions of a potential rapist is a ridiculous measure, any way you look at it. A truly free, equal and democratic society does not require that some of its citizens limit their liberties in order to compensate for the ills that plague it.

6) There is nothing wrong with using the way you dress to express your personality or explore your sexuality. Let us accept that we are all different. I may not choose to flaunt my "assets" in an overt way, but I will defend to the death any woman's right to do so if that's what she wants (with apologies to Voltaire and Evelyn Beatrice Hall).

Umanga, sindmani, letstalk and 21 others like this.
  10. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I think people feel like the lady was saying that ALL rapes happen because girls dress in small clothes. I do not think that ALL cases are like that but I do think some are because of the clothes. Some people are mentally sick, I do not think that people should not wear small clothes but they should think of their surroundings and how it will effect others around them, and be prepared to defend themselves as needed.

1 person likes this.