How can you be eco friendly?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by coolblues, Apr 21, 2013.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

Find out if you are earth-friendly or a carbon-junkie with this simple quiz and learn how you can help to save our earth.

EcoGlobe1.jpg

1. What type of lights are used in your home?

CFLs
    LEDs
    Standard light bulbs (Incandescent)

2. When you go grocery shopping, you

Take your own cloth bag
    Take your own plastic bag
    Get a new plastic bag
    Use paper bags

3. How do you travel?

Bus or Metro
    Car
    Walk
    Cycling

4. Are you taking this quiz on a

Laptop
    Desktop

5. Where do you buy your food?

Supermarket
    Local Market

6. What do you use for drinking water?

Tap water -- as is
    Filtered tap water
    Individual bottled waters
    Gallon-sized bottled water

7. What is your attitude towards diapers?

I use cloth diapers and launder them myself.
    I use biodegradable diapers.
    I use the standard brand of diapers.

Answers:

1. LEDs are far more efficient since they last 10 times longer than the CFLs or standard light bulbs. You can go for CFLs that have energy star certification.

2. Plastic bags are not biodegradable. They contaminate both water and soil and and eventually damages the animal kingdom. Use of paper bags means cutting down lot of trees. Environmentalists feel that the safest option is to switch to reusable cloth bags. Make it a habit to carry sturdy cloth bags that can be reused as many as hundred times!

3. Walking is the greenest option to save the planet. Cycling is the next green option when you have to travel. Next comes taking the common transport which leads to lesser use of vehicles and carbon impact. If you want to drive in car, always do car-pooling.

4. Laptops are a smarter option since they save 90% less energy than a PC. CRT monitors drain more power and leads to tons of toxic waste in the landfills around the world. You must make use of power saving options even with a laptop to focus on greener computing.

5. The produce that you see in supermarket travels miles before it finally reaches the store near you, which means more energy consumption. Buying from a local market gives access to better and fresher local produce. You will also encourage local food economy which is dying due to clout of supermarkets.

6. Drinking filtered tap water will help save millions of plastic cans and bottles being discarded everyday. Invest in a water filter mechanism and don't forget to carry water in reusable containers when you travel. Avoid use of plastic bottled water.

7. Cloth diapers are the best solution for your child. Disposable diapers are not the greenest way since it accounts for more than 3.4 million tons of landfill of water per year and they DO NOT decompose.

How did you score? Do you have other ideas to be eco friendly?

2. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

That the nice way of saying the better things for eco friendly through self analysis quiz. V Good coolblues :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Sowmya2709

Sowmya2709 Platinum IL'ite

Nice quiz..Good thought on Earth Day!

After answering all the questions, i find am not at all eco-friendly(except taking own bag).. :-(

Will try to implement these things in my day to day and become more eco-friendly..

1 person likes this.
  4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good one cool blues.....

I scored only 4 out of 7 .... :)

5. Georgina

Georgina New IL'ite

Few more eco friendly ideas :

1. Following paperless culture even at home i.e thinking twice before printing anything. Using online options(if available) for payments, reference etc., opting for e-books over printed ones.
    2. Preferring recycled paper for invitations(green invitations),which we print in large numbers over the regular paper.
    2. Using recyclable paper cups, plates etc over plastic ones while hosting parties or any other occasions at home.
    3. Sorting out the trash as bio-degradable and non bio-degradable and dropping them in the appropriate trash bins.

All these small steps in every household can make a big difference in ensuring eco friendliness.

6. coolblues

Welcome, Georgina!

Great ideas.. if each of us had to incorporate some of the ideas, Earth will be such an awesome place to live!

7. coolblues

Doesn't matter Aruna, thanks for taking the time out for the Quiz!! :)

8. coolblues

Sure, Sowmya.. it is the thought that matters.. am sure even the smallest of the baby step towards being eco-friendly will certainly go a long way for all of us!!

9. Georgina

Georgina New IL'ite

Thank you Coolblues !

If each member of this forum is going to take a small step in following the ideas and spreading the awareness, then we are definitely heading towards a greener earth !

10. nikitamjain

nikitamjain Silver IL'ite

Very simple and useful post.