Do Indians lack creativity?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by fencesitter, Apr 4, 2013.

1. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

Do we lack creativity? Almost all hit programs in TV are copied from west/korea/so on. Even movies plot and music are copied on so many occasions. Dont we have enough innovative brains in India to come up with some thing which are original? Regressive TV soaps are not counted. Even in science and technology we dont have much innovation or innovators to brag about. what it takes to get Jobs/gates/Matt Groening/chuck lorre/simon cowel/roddam in India?

2. Honestraj

Honestraj Senior IL'ite

I think we lack thought process starting from young age, we are often told how to do or follow how things are done rather made to think and do on one's own..

Also lack of self belief? I think as far as the tv shows are concerned there is this tendency of feeling inferior or anything that is successful outside of india is considered superior and easy to market...I have had the same question why not an indian show feature a foreign version!

4 people like this.
  3. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

I feels Indians are creative n talent..just that we lack marketing skills.

3 people like this.
  4. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the thread fencesitter ji,

We should proudly claim ourselves to possess creativity and the talents unearthed, However from childhood (school days) we are not allowed to explore or take risk in most cases and asked to follow this and that.

That mind sets forever, so creativity and the productivity remains unearthed for most of us.

This is just my personal opinion.

3 people like this.
  5. maliniglow

maliniglow Gold IL'ite

Creativity is not appreciated in some places, so it would go without recognition.

I feel Indians lack in creativity in Television programs/movies/music.

Most of the musician directors music would be copied or inspired from foreign pop albums.

Indians plagiarize and do not hold copyrights to it.

6. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

This is due to theoretical knowledge only.

2 people like this.
  7. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

Fencesitter,

Another good thread by you. My opinion on this question is that: Indians do not have the opportunities to outshine others. The reasons are varied like, population explosion leading to children competing with each other to get the highest marks, get degrees quicker, get a job soon, earn money soon, get married soon, get children soon, get retired soon. We are not taught to spend time in a particular area of our interest and bring glory in that particular field.

Not to offend anyone, but parents these days want their kids to be just engineers, doctors and maybe get into management. Not many parents want their kids to be scientists or inventors or creators. It will take a lot of mental growth from the parents' end to bring up their kids that way. Money is after all the highest goal in life of every average family in India. Kids need to be honed from childhood to do great things. They should become mature at a very young age and should know what they want to achieve in life.

Schools also tend to teach children to be competitive and achieve success in life. But not many teach the kids to be independent and follow their hearts. If someone does follow their own heart, they are stamped as dreamers who cannot get a good job in life and normally looked down and frowned upon. So there is none to motivate them to follow their dreams. Motivation should come in the form of encouragement from families, monetary wise, correct recognition by teachers and he/she should be given ample time to achieve want he/she wants.

We do have a long way to go though!

6 people like this.
  8. SaleemaRex

SaleemaRex Gold IL'ite

I think many of us encourage our kids to be more academic than creative. It's hard for parents from a middle class background to support children who want to be musicians, artists, sportsperson, etc... since we are worried about their future if things don't work out due to the lack of social security. Many people with good creative talents are most likely working as bankers, doctors, teachers, etc due to lack of encouragement.

2 people like this.
  9. hgulla

hgulla Silver IL'ite

My take would be the education in India. The education system in US and other countries emphasize so much on research and encourage students to think out of the box. If our high schools and universities stop teaching stuff that is 10-15 years old, emphasize on quality than quantity of students, start encouraging teachers who come from Industry rather than a PhD with no practical work experience, reward creative talent instead of rewarding high score achievers etc etc etc. it will do a lot of good to enhance creativity. Like the other posters here have pointed out, we are brought up stereotypically and there is so much social pressure to achieve something that everyone wants Vs what the person actually wants.

4 people like this.
  10. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Off topic, but this is why i have stopped watching/listening desi movies and music. Everything feels/sounds rehashed.