Date of birth proof for Passport

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by simrose, Nov 23, 2011.

1. simrose

simrose Bronze IL'ite

Hi ILites,

I have a problem with my parents date of birth proof for their passport. I'm in the process of submitting the passport application for my parents. Both of them do not have their 10th mark sheets with them. The passport office accepts the DOB proof in 3 forms:
    1. Birth certificate - (My parents don't have that)
    2. School leaving certificate - (They don't have this either. Also, does this mean 1oth std certificate or TC?)
    3. Affidavit - Both have done the affidavit, but it says they are illiterate. When I checked the passport site, it says this is accepted for illiterate and semi-illiterate people (below class 5).

Now, my question is: if I submit the affidavit which says illiterate or semi-illiterate will that cause trouble in issuing the passport. Or will the school provide the school leaving certificate and how long might they take in issuing this. As I need this in urgent.

Has anyone gone through this process and who can guide me in this. It'll be grateful..

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and answers. :)

2. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

The affidavit will be sufficient for DOB proof. Being illiterate or semi literate does not cause any problem in issuing the passport. But if they are literate and it is mentioned as illiterate in the affidavit, the passport will be rejected under the passport law as giving wrong information.

So get the affidavit redone as semi-literate. It costs around Rs.100-200 and can be done in one day.

If the passport is urgent, suggest you opt for tatkal passport.

3. simrose

simrose Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Orion,
    In the affidavit, it is literate. Now, I need to re-do it as seme-literate.

Thank you so much.

4. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Dear Simrose,

We faced this same problem when getting my mom's passport issued. She also did not have any of the above.

Her bank account had mentioned her date of birth. So used that to get the PAN CARD.

Now started the issue with the passport authorities knowing fully well how stubborn they can be. We also had to get an affidavit for her as Orion mentioned from the local authorities. So, alongwith her PAN CARD and bank passbook, we had to submitted the Affidavit. It is just this first part of passport issue that is complicated. Once all the papers are submitted, the next steps are easier. Get in touch with a local travel agency as these days most of them take care of passport work as well. They have their own people who know the format very well.

Goodluck...