What smell is that?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DNM, Feb 7, 2011.

1. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

They say your nose remembers more than the rest of you. Humans have a strong sense of smell and with those smells come associations and memories. A little whiff of something can take you back to a different time and place in a matter of seconds.

The smell of Mysore Sandal soap for me always reminds me of my patti. She uses it to this day. The whole bathroom smells like her after she takes a bath. I love it.

Popcorn smell means movie theater for me every time.

Ajwain, green chillies and Hing ground up combo takes me back to my childhood, when my mom made vadam koozh early in the mornings and we would have a little taste before going to the terrace to make the vadam...sigh...good times.

What are your trigger smells and where do they take you?

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

i haven't had that experience with smells. but whenever i feel a light evening breeze like the one which we used to get in my hometown around late february-march, i suddenly remember school exams, because my parents and neighbours would be sitting outside enjoying the breeze in the late evenings and i would be cooped up having to study for the exams.

3. Mansskam

Mansskam New IL'ite

very Good question:thumbsup

The smell of Vibudhi remembers me of Lord Muruga. I have experienced many a times smell of Vibudhi (Thirunir) which remembers me of Lord Muruga & felt his presence somewhere in my heart. Vibudhi is specially distributed as prasadam in Lord Muruga's temple. It also tastes very good.

The smell of coffee remembers me of my hometown Chennai. In our childhood days my grandfather used to take us all for a evening walk, & we use to have coffee. :coffee I don't know why but the coffee takes me back to my childhood days and you will find the fresh smell of coffee only in South.

4. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Poor Sat, sitting inside having to study while everyone else was relaxing. The smell of rain and wind takes me back as well to school days, school closings, power cuts, hot rasam rice and hot masala tea....

Mans - Nice. I know what you mean about the Vibhoothi. In some temples, they smell especially good. Some of the temples have smell in themselves. You know, the smell of old oil, bats, fruits, flowers...I find it comforting.

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Smell of jasmine ...takes me back to my childhood when amma would sit in the "thinnai" making little garlands of Jasmine flowers .
    Smell of roasted peanuts..reminds me of my time spent with "paatti" where mama would get loads of them on his way from work
    "butta(corn)" on coal..
    Oh lovely memories..nice thread!

6. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

smell of wet mud- reminds me of my hometown in India after it has poured in!

7. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

JAG - Beautiful and poignant memories! I can see in my mind's eye just with your words. I so love jasmine too...especially the wild ones...heaven on a string.

WFT - Ooooh yes! Squishy, wet, red mud, - warm from the rain; splattering on cycle tires, uniforms, shoes and bags. Previously I would have called that dirty. Now I feel it is therapeutic. Don't you?

8. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Smell of fresh new textbooks: After summer vacation in middle/highschool, we used to collect new textbooks for the next grade, and the new books will have a distinct smell, I liked them.

Also - I remember the smell of the brown paper that we used to use for covering the notebooks - we had to cover them, label them blah...While I was neutral to (did not particularly enjoy) the smell of the brown paper in particular, I remember it.

And yes, I think it is true - your nose remembers more than the rest of you

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  9. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Spidey - I remember the brown paper and the new books very well. In my school we had to go stand at a window where they would hand out the new books. I hated that window and the smell of the new books that would waft from there. I used to get stomach upset as soon as we came home with the new books. The reason: I was a bad student until 10th grade and so new books meant more stuff that I would not understand and more bad grades. The math notebooks - stuff of nightmares!!! :spin

10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Same situation. We had to pay the fees, and then deliver that receipt at the window, and they'll deliver those books. The thing I liked about that day is that - after a long vacation, this is the day when we used to meet some of the other classmates who were probably out of station during the vacation etc. So, this was the time to meet them and say Howdy, chitchat a bit, and then say Bye - see you in a few weeks at school again.

I did like the smell though.

And I liked the math book, in fact thats the only book that I'll open first, LOL!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011