What smell is that?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DNM, Feb 7, 2011.

1. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

Has anyone already mentioned the smell of coriander leaves? I absolutely love the smell while washing and chopping it.Though mint too smells good, I like coriander more.Then Baby Cerelac.Wow yum!!! I totallly hate Lactogen smell.

Since spiderman talked about tea kaappee, a incident that happened in a train travel came to my mind.A lady bought a tea and within seconds of buying it, she looked a bit confused and after holding it for a min, just threw away the tea bag thinking that it was mistakenly put in.
    Poor woman!!Though I felt bad, I couldn't control smiling thinking of it.Then the other ladies explained that it is dip tea and you need to dip it few times and then throw.

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Here's a confession:
    When I was around 13 or so, I used to steal Lactogen (? i think, dont remember the brand?) meant for my baby cousin and pop a few spoons of that powder in kudikka vendaam, apdiye saapidalaam style :)

Well, not really steal, but my aunt let me since she knows I liked the taste, and actually she'll pop a spoon in herself :biglaugh

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  3. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Jasmine flower smell reminds me of Park station and my college days.
    Also 'Manga sundal' in Central station.
    I love Train travel :)

4. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Spidey - Ya...kaapeetea, kaapeetea, 'sket (biscuit), 'sket, paaal, paaal...I do miss those sounds as well.

Soumya - Coriander leaves smell is very appetizing...sprinkle on top of hot rasam and man! I could drink a gallon of that!

Soumya and Spidey - Cerelac and lactogen - yummy! I think it is the vanilla flavour smell that is so appealing. I would beg my aunt to get a spoonful. Sometimes she would be in a generous mood and give me it. Othertimes I would :drool as my baby cousins ate...

Mithy - Maangai sundal at thebeach was better than the train but yes train hourney was a holistic experience - the flowers, the smells, the sounds, the jostle, the hustle, the packed iddly and molagai podi, thayir saadam, poori and potato....:thumbsup

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Soumya ...coriander :thumbsup
    Spidey..Imagining u popping baby food into ur mouth:biglaugh
    Another one of my all time favourite smell is mango.:drool
    Reminds of summer and childhood. Amma will try in vain to hide them after she buys them so that we will first finish lunch/dinner (mampazhayam == soodu (heat) so need to eat curd rice before u eat that ) but the divine smell will give her away each time :rotfl

6. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Jag - Mangoes!!! Banganapalli and Malgova and Manpasand and Neelam and Aapoos---so many! I miss all of that. Here we get only two varities - with naar (fibre) and if you are lucky without naar!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  7. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Spidey - Goldspot and Limca. They were the best. I had a slight preference for Limca but they were both very nice. I was not one for thumps up unlike now when I am all about coke. What happened to those old days sodas anyways? The glass bottles and the thin striped straws? The standing in the store to drink it up and giving back the bottle...environmentally friendly.

That takes me to the potti kadai (mini store) on the streets that would have everything from bananas, to vethalai (betel leaves), to magazines, to cigarettes, to goli soda, to a pen, to soap, to wrapped or unwrapped candy to butter biscuits in glass jars...That guy would have everything! The store also had a particular smell - part ripe banana, part wilting betel leaves, part incense sticks lit up in front of the deity, part cigarette and part dirt...

Very very unique. Very familiar. Comforting - because if you ever needed anything in a hurry and it was a public hoilday - this guy was open and had what you wanted. He opened early and closed very very late. His shop was everywhere convenient. I miss the potti kadai close to me home.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  8. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Dear DNM,

Nice thread.

During our college days..we used to play a 'guessing-game'..as to what our neighbour's tiffin-box would contain.??!.
    Added to that the lecturers used to call us as "Appetite-girls" :crazy as our class-room was located exactly opposite the canteen.Even now the aroma of 'masala vadas' take me back to that first year memories!!!!

A few particular smells, close to my heart, that reminds me of my granny: jasmine strands, filter coffee and Kanjivaram silks.

I can still go on and on..'coz your thread is a lovely one..will come back again to share some more.

:cheers
    Sarasvadivus

9. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Saras - Hey, thanks and welcome! Lovely post.

You must have been very attached to your grandma. I can imagine her from your smell memories.

College canteen, yup! We used to finish our tiffin dabbas and also go and stuff our faces in the canteen! Food = fun, back then!

10. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

I like the samosa smell,and all the oil fried items smell in the raiway station..
    Mithy :cheers all flower smell reminds me Kalyana mandapam..silk saree sarak..sark..sound,nadhaswaram,kalyana sapadu..yummy..:cheers