No Entry for Families

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Priya_Mommy, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Dear all,
    Being working throughout the week and we get very less time to spend with families. Just we wait for Weekends to fullfill the needs of next week and simultaneously spend time with kids.
    But I am here with a serious concern happening around the city. Not sure about other cities in India but in Hyderabad, its better if the GHMC people can put a board "No Entry for Families" infront of all parks.
    Its so pathetic if we take children and family members to parks, everywhere the college students in pairs sit and do some nonsense. I fell really bad by looking at them because they are cheating their parents I believe. NOt sure howmany of them getting permission from parents and spend time here but truely, there is no place for families there.
    The park authorities are just acting as spectators instead of restricting them.
    I am not against to love, but being students they are supposed to complete their education with dedication and get settled in life first, then definitely have time for these kind of activities. So pathetic situation it was - Most of them are teanagers and they dont know what they are loosing now and defintiely will feel regret for loosing such a valuable time with silly stuff. I am also not sure, how many of these pairs will become realtime couples, but there are lots of chances for breakups.
    They really forget outside world and behaving as if its their bedrooms, so fancily. Dont know if colleges are running emptily because all the parks are crowdy with these love pairs. They dont understand their parents feeling when they come to know about this kind of activities for their dearie children?They are definitely misusing the freedom given by their parents.

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

As long as they dont violate overly the physical level of decency, they have all the rights to date. Dating is not a crime. Just that they need to maintain some level of decency, but sitting together and chatting or talking or holding hands is not an offense, and park authorities cannot take action for such things.

People may go through a few different date partners before they commit someone for a real serious relationship. While some people may find their sweetheart in school or college, most people may want to wait longer before they find a SERIOUS partner.

Basically, the thing boils down to - Do you consider dating in college as wrong? Well, we can have opinions about that, and they may vary, but it is their right to date. Just because someone is dating does not make them irresponsible or an unintelligent person who wont achieve good things in life.

I think - fundamentally - dating was not prevalent in India some years ago, and since we grew up in the culture where it was largely absent - we are now expressing shock and aghast. Thats all.

Let us remember - the kids of IL-ites 15-20 years from now, are surely going to date as well! LOL! And we better be prepared to allow them to date while they are in that age, or they'll just do it behind our backs. :biglaugh

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  3. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Dating is not always for marriage. Sure, there is chance of breakup, and they will learn from the breakups. There is a difference between Dating and having a serious love with someone. They are two different things, and dating is what mostly the younger people do, before they eventually may graduate to serious love with someone.

I am not sure "what" exactly they are doing.

But if they are overly violating decency in public, I am sure they can be booked under public nuisance. But just holding hands or a light kiss or leaning on someone's shoulder etc, I dont think will be a bookable offense.

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Priya_Mommy

I also feel bad to see them in the parks where children come there to play. I feel embarassed to see them.

love
    viji

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

spidey,

Sanjay pinto has come a long way..and i do like his shows..

this one was not so convincing..it was more a clash of interest in the parties..

but the outcome though shows the cross section of the people..actually this show was the result of a newsbit about two research students(?) holding hands and the police catching up and they were friends/cousins..trace out that news if you can...

7. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

While top police officers clearly emphasise that policing doesn't have anything to do with enforcing morals in society, they admit that sometimes there could be a grey area.

“Most policemen come from different parts of the state and have varied cultural values. A big number of them are from the rural areas,” says Chennai police commissioner T. Rajendran. “Moral policing does not have a clear definition and means different things for different people. But, one thing is clear — the police have no role to play in it.”

He points out that top police officials have been sensitising their subordinates about the issue. “We have told them not to assume the role of a parent whenever they spot public display of affection. We ask them to just warn the folks and send them away,” the commissioner says.

Discussing the grey area in their jurisdiction, the police claim that one of the reasons for their enforcing morals among youth, that don’t have any legal standing, could be due to the increasing number of family disputes and relationship issues that they are asked to solve. “Even we receive complaints from the public about their broken marriages or runaway children. They expect us to solve these issues which are not police work and we are not trained suitably to tackle such issues,” say senior police officials.

They add moral policing could be a fallout of this interference in people’s private lives, although it is done upon request.

Commissioner Rajendran says they have been sensitising constables and lower-level police personnel on how to deal with situations and in not interfering with people’s private lives. “We have included this message in our regular roll calls to ensure that it reaches down the hierarchy,” he adds.
    The police urge members of the public to come forward and register a complaint with senior police officials if they are a victim of moral policing or harassment.

“The public can always dial 100 or any of the other published phone numbers to register their complaint and we would take suitable action, if necessary,” Mr Rajendran says.

8. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

True, but it crossed more than thousands of miles to just holding hands.

I think - fundamentally - dating was not prevalent in India some years ago, and since we grew up in the culture where it was largely absent - we are now expressing shock and aghast. Thats all.

Its not shocking, if I was there for few more mins, I would have defintely slapped atleast a pair.

Let us remember - the kids of IL-ites 15-20 years from now, are surely going to date as well! LOL! And we better be prepared to allow them to date while they are in that age, or they'll just do it behind our backs. :biglaugh

I would rather educate my kid instead of just allowing him. If he still wants to go ahead, no doubt I will restrict.

9. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@ Priya, I hear ya!

@ Spiderman, I will give you an example, in my last visit to India (first time after getting married), I wanted to take my DH to Hyderabad (HYD). Hyderabad is where I stayed for many years but my DH has never been to HYD. He had made a list of places to see in HYD. A few of them were:

1. Golkonda Fort
    2. Kutubshaahi tombs
    3. Charminar
    4. Sanjeevaiah park (apparently its historic, which I myself didnt know)

so on.

With the exception of Charminar, in all the other places, you see couples exceeding all limits (by Indian conservative standards of course); I mean ALL limits; It wouldn't be an exaggeration if you call it soft-****. You wouldnt want your kid seeing a couple making out would you?

I am not saying that one has to be moral police. Ex: When we were checking out one of the famous tombs (they are HUUUUUGE), there were staircases leading inside the tomb and its actually quite exiting to see them. By the time my husband and I were at the end of the stairs, we saw a couple literally half naked, making out. For a moment I didn't react but DH said, "get a room" and we walked out.