Personality quiz - what will you do with the high grapes ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Sabitha_K, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Everybody has heard of the Aesop's fable 'Fox and the Sour Grapes'.

In short ,when a fictional fox in Aesop land fails to get a bunch of grapes perched high on a tree, it rationalises that the grapes are sour hence unable to pluck.It leaves the place content with the feeling that the unattainable grapes, accused as sour, are not worth to be eaten.

Yesterday when I was reading an article this fable sprung to my mind when I wanted to allegorise by slightly twist the old adage.To me, the gist of the article was 'If you cannot have high grapes be glad with the bucketed oranges'.

(Yes Polly it is the same divine couch where I usually get these epiphanies.:idea)

Now this is very different to the actual connotation associated with the phrase because sour grapes portrait malice , spite to defame something.For all we know the grapes could have been juicy and ripe.To appreciate the oranges at hand is a more positive approach to look at things not bothering if the grapes are rancid or ripe.

What do we do when we encounter these grapes in our life ?

A pessimist looks for a long time at the grapes and shakes his head in desolation that if he cannot get these grapes he might as well lose hope of reaching the low oranges in the neighbourhood.:frown:

An egoist feels, if he cannot have the grapes , he would succumb to his injury ( broken knee on his fall ) but not treat the wound because that would reveal that he tried and failed.:coffee

A fox with leadership qualities beckons his canine friends ,cajoles even tempts them with the delicious wine they can produce , thus forming a pyramid of workers to climb and reach it.:thumbsup

A male chauvenistic fox simmering after spurned by the vixenish grapes, fences the tree, burns it and reasons saying if he cannot have it no one else should have it.:rant

So every type of personality and situation can be presented using this simple context of 'Sour grapes'.

Now set the ball rolling and tell me now what would you do with the high grapes ? If you cannot reach the high grapes would you turn back , jump higher, kick ground , share your thoughts

This is a fun thread so I am looking forward to innovative , inspiring, funny responses to what would you do when you find out that you cannot reach high grapes ? Mind it should also showcase your personality.Tough task, ah ? :2thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabita

This is a question for intelligent people. But since I wanted to give the first fb I came here. I will be like the fox trying to reach the grapes however difficult it is

love
    viji

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Sabitha, yes, i know I share your sentiment (from the snippets) and even though I feel I am addressing my self, I know I am looking at a different beautiful person and your picture always springs to my mind :) .....

let me be the first one (hope fully) to say what I would do in such a situation. Now, i would be interested to know how you would categorize my attitude.

I would look at the grapes in wonder and joy and in all sincerity wish it reaches the person who deserves it and wish him the best.....and as for me, I will look straight at what I have (which incidentally might make me miss the oranges) and keep moving ahead looking for something that I can reach and feel happy reaching :) You know it is funny, every single morning (yes, very early morning) I look at the sky and wonder with joy ....the moon, the stars, the planes ....everything, and even if I cannot reach them, I am glad just to be able to see them and enjoy them!! I especially love the crisp clear cold fall mornings........So there my thoughts!!

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

saby dear,

you really looped me in to check out what you are discussing..

So what would i do..think for a few minutes, and try to find the best probable combination to reach the grapes, without crushing the grapes or hurting anybody on the way.

I will try my level best if i can't, i will loop in dh, a partner in every sense, will try with his help and i will definitely share it with everybody, i cannot gobble it alone:hide:. if i still cannot reach it, i will tell my friends, and acquaintances that there is this tree that has sweet looking grapes, and do try your luck..and wish them all the best.. i believe, nothing comes to you without effort.

Ok, now relax on your couch and analyze me...

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Nice topic. If i see grapes, I would try to reach out for them. If I fail, I tell myself to try again. And again and again. But, like everything in my life, I set a limit. Like, I will jump 10 times and will do to the best of my ability. Even then if I fail, I will sit back and think, maybe its not meant to be.

6. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear Viji,

PERSISTENCE AND DETERMINATION !

Never say die, never give up attitude.
    Happy to see you here.

7. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear Sabitha ,

PRACTICAL !

Practical ,who understands one's limitations.Also a well wisher.:thumbsup

8. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear Shan,

GO GETTER !

You are a trend setter, go getter and a motivator ! A rare combination of some of the best qualities. Exhibit trait of leadership by calling everyone around.Go Getter in both the ways.Either you try to get or provide the opportunity for someone else to have it.At the end, the task is achieved with no ill feeling who does it.

THUD THUD THUD ! I just slumped on the couch too loud reading all your creative responses.:crazy

9. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Oops, I didn't mention what I would do ?

As a kid < 10 I would have planted another tree nearby , applied powerful manure to produce even sweeter and bigger grapes.Climb on the top of it and Harhar

Between 10 and 20 , I would have befriended some feline family , learnt how to climb trees and plucked it.

Now > 25, I would take some snaps , go to the local market show them the pics and ask to pack 2 kgs of the same variety.Ab is umar main woh enthu kahan ? :biggrin2:

10. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

Interesting thread....let me try my hand at it.

Will try and try but yes.....with a limit, say i'll try 5times, if I don't get it, then forget it. Guess it wasn't meant for me.
    If it was...then...Am sure i'll find something more tasty/interesting elsewhere
    (neighborhood oranges/ low lying branches in a different wine yard!!)

Will wait to learn your interpretation of my thoughts!! :hide: