1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Pursuing MS/MBA in the U.S.A on F1 or H4 visa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by neha1, Mar 6, 2010.

1. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

Hmm.. let us see. This month, since the weather is warm we have several outings and get togethers planned. So, have not been able to start CSTE yet. I already blocked the exam date and have less than 30 days now.

Exactly !! These are some of the reasons why I also gave GMAT a second thought.

Another funny thing is - Some of the experienced folks who evaluated my profile said that with my experience some universities may reject me for MS for being "over-experienced". I am not sure how true that it.. Oh man!! I am learning all these new things about MS/MBA in USA :) daily... getting all confused.

Many recommended that I consider doing MBA instead.So, just thought clearing GMAT wouldnt hurt.

I am not sure if GMAT is easier, but I feel the scores are relaxed compared to GRE scores. For eg. Kelley college's MS-IS program has a cut off for 1400 GRE whereas it is 620 for GMAT. 1400+ GRE is pretty hard to get , it must be around 85% percentile. Whereas, 620 for GMAT is not as difficult as that to achieve.

Anyway, I will know better as I start GMAT preparation.

Many universities I checked accepted online recommendations. I would say that start off with that paralelly. Many recommenders will need you to provide pointers for writing recommendations. Also, if they are busy, you may need to give them sufficient time to write it.

2. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Same case with me. So hard to study in summer:hide:

Rightly said. I am also learning so much about higher education here. It is a research in itself LOL

Anyway, MS courses too consider GMAT.Go ahead and give it. It will not go waste for sure.

Thanks for this tip. It never struck me:idea ..I thoguht I"ll need to wait till I finish everything. I think its a good idea to do everything in a parallel way. Not sure if the univrsities that I'm applying to accept online forms. But, I"ll surely check it. Thanks again. Good Luck to you. Keep us updated on your admission process:thumbsup

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  3. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

Hi Reshsabu is there any specific requirements to be eligible for in-state tuition fees. I am in my state now for 5months but my husband is here for more than a year, therefore will I be given a consideration?

4. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

Now this is the toughest part because you need to take many aspects into consideration to shortlist your universities :hide:

5. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

Neha that's a good score...and above all, you scored it W/O much preparation...cool!!!...All long as you have score more than 20 on each section, TOEFL score of 100 is pretty good.

6. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]Neha you can write or call the registrar of your universities and explain your requirements. Certain universities don't have any separate format for transcript ( like mine) so they will issue original final marksheet bearing the registrar signature and college stamp, sealed in envelop again signed acrossed by registrar. Some universities will issue only one transcript and post them directly to the provided address. You need to deposit the required amount covering the transcript and their delivery. These processes may take time, so further delay you should start working towards obtaining your transcripts...

Some universities may ask your transcript evaluated by recognized organisation, so you can get them evaluated by WES ( mostly preferred) and other private but accredited parties.
    [/JUSTIFY]

7. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

Neha recommendation from your manager will definitely be weighed heavily but in addition to this try to arrange an recommendation from your professor, if not then manage with all reco letters ( 2 or 3 in number) only from professional background.

I think you are doing some volunteer jobs, then you can ask them a reco letter, it might be of importance...

8. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

Reshsabu that's really funny...however I know that university won't reject a student on basis of their experience as it doesn't cost them anything...it's you who is compromising with the years of experience...infact I have heard that good years of experience help student to get into good grad schools...therefore nothing to worry about...Have you looked for dual programs like MS-MBA? Now that you have a good score, you can actually have lots of options in choosing your program. Moreover your choice matters, whether to do MS or MBA as lately MBA is providing a larger scope of opportunities...

9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Jinni is right. I doubt any school ever rejects anyone for being overqualified. They are not paying you, you are paying them. :) During my PhD, one person in my lab was a 53 year old, former VP of a company who wanted to change careers. If anything work experience only helps you get accepted more easily.

10. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

thanks pankajini for ur replies.

I was wondering wat to do for my reco letters. I"ll try to get one professor and 2 from my supervisors....im not planning to ask my volnteer job supersvisor for letters coz wat i do there does not require any skill set as such.....but, i may think of it

Yes, i got a score of over 20 in 3 sections and a little less in one section on tOEFL....

and about ur in-state tuition - from what i know, its enough if your husband has been staying in that state and paying taxes for 1 year(u dont need to be there)...but again, this might differ with universities....try contacting them with ur situation....good luck