1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Pursuing MS/MBA in the U.S.A on F1 or H4 visa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by neha1, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

THANK YOU Neha...

May be I should just start calling and bugging them....:biglaugh

2. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Welcome:)
    Yes, do call till you get the info...they may keep transferring the call(happened with me) but finally you wil land the person you need to talk to...

3. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Friends,

Do any of you have any information about these universities:

Pace University
    Hofstra University
    Fordham University
    St.John's Univversity

I was browsing some rankings and these colleges were also there in the list but, I wanted to know more about them. They seem pretty expensive but statistics say that many International students do receive tuition waivers. That's why I was keen on getting some info.

4. Vidya21

Vidya21 Senior IL'ite

I have a friend who went to Pace for his Masters. If you post your questions about that Uni. I might be able to ask him and help if he is able to answer your questions. He is just graduating this summer, so he should hopefully know.

About St.John's from what I know, it is a teaching-heavy place because a friend interviewed there for a faculty position in Chemistry. I am not sure if they do a lot of research, at least not in Chemistry, but the faculty who interviewed him were very professional.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  5. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Vidya for your help. I particularly want to know how is the job scenario (after graduating) in these universities and how is the faculty.
    These are very expesnive universities, I believe but statistics say that most get scholarhsips/tuition waivers. I am in the same hope, otherwise I will not join,even if selected to join.

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Does anyone knows how volunteer work-ex will help our applications to graduate schools? I saw some schools that have mentioned that we can list volunteer exp etc,but some do not mention it. In that case, How do I utlilize the volunteer exp? Also, is it acceptable to get one LOR/reference from a person with whom we have volunteered?

7. pranam

pranam Senior IL'ite

8. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thank you very much pranam. I thought I could use one LOR from a supervisor in my volunteer program as I have been regular there for 7-8 months.
    Thanks for the link as well . Was very kind of you:). Yes, this course is just asking for 4 pre requisite courses. May be just 12 credits extra. That should be fine with me.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  9. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

Neha generally volunteer jobs are looked highly as mentioned by Pranam, as it signifies towards your unconditional spirit to contribute towards your domain. I am sure it will give an upper hand to your application. If possible try to arrange reco letter from your project guide (if you had one).

What kind of volunteer opportunity did you have? I had been trying here but research volunteer opportunity is almost zero. I approached in hospitals as well but no research work except for jobs in wards to read out story books to children. Can anyone guide me on this.

10. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the reply. I did not have any guide as such , mine is just an office oppurtunity

Look up VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins this website. Use your zip code and you will get options there. Mine is not a research oppurtunity. I work at a Senior centre teaching seniors basic computer and ESL skills for one day a week. Apart from this, one day a week I go to a Non profit nearby for office work. They give me any kind of job for the day like, calling ppl for some follow-up,database management etc. Basically, it is an admin role. You could take up anything. I hope they will useful to us in higher studies:hide:. I do not think it is easy to find something related to our past/future education or work ex. For these jobs, I have seen that they prefer interns(presently studying grad or UG course).

Anyway, do search for options and let us know:).