1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Things to set a home in US...

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by charmingpooh, Nov 25, 2009.

1. charmingpooh

charmingpooh Bronze IL'ite

Hi All

Please suggest me the necessary things to live in US.. I heard 4m some ppl like oven,vaccum cleaner etc.I wil be travelling soon 4m india. SInce i m very much new, pls throw som lights.

Many thnx
    Poornima

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Poornima which locality are you going to settle down??

How many of you are there and are all of you gonna be office-goers??

Please let us know so that we could help as much possible...

3. jaydevi

jaydevi New IL'ite

Hi,

You can take some kitchen vessels like cooker,bowls,cups and plates. Some of your favorite dresses.Vaccum cleaner and oven u can buy here in US.When u r coming for the first time u can bring some grocery items for initial months then u can buy it from Indian store in US.Bring chilli,coriander,turmeric,pepper,cumin,mustard,dry curry leaves take all these powder etc...

Take your god's picture also and related to that too.

If u like to know more reply to this

Good Luck

Devi

4. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hey,

Adding to Devi's list :
    Bring minimum 10 to 15 under garments.you may need to pay 1$ for washing and 1$ for drying . So generally ppl wash clothes once in a week or once in 2 weeks.
    and such essential undergarments are pretty costly here.

5. charmingpooh

thnx 2 all..thx cindhu.. myself,my hubby and 5months old daughter in Edison,NJ. I need to search a job..

cheers
    poornima

6. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Thatz great...No worries @ all dear....all have a confusion while planning for a stay in abroad

Edison is in other words is "little india"..like P.bazaar you'll have too much crowd of our people...that too the railway station..depicts typical mambalam station..with tamil,telugu, hindi conversations :biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh

If you really don't mind give me one day time...sure before sunday(29th) i'll give you a deatiled note about the do's and dont's..

sorry bit busy in office..

take care :thumbsup

7. charmingpooh

thnx a lot cindhu.. waiting 4 u...

8. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi poornima,

sorry for the delayed reply...typing in very less time, so please tolerate with the type'o's...coming to the topic..

for sure take a grinder...light weight..some tilting grinder..check with the voltage..stores like rathna,saravana,vasanth & co will help you regarding the voltage..you can even check tis forum itself for those details...getting idli batter and all will not work out in long run...that too with a kid :hide:...

Next to that ..personally i would suggest mixie..but go there and get "magic bullet"..kind of small appliances..so as to reduce weight in baggage...google for "magic bullet"..you can order in sites like ebay,amazon etc..costs less than 2k i guess..for chutneys,grinding ginger,garlic they are more than enof...or else without any hesitation go for preethi mixie (preethi'ku naan guarantee :))

the above 2 alone are the most important..the rest you can manage @ any cost..

pick those small small items like idukki,mathu,tempering laddle (hope you know tamil :hiya)

all those masala packets of shakthi,aachi,mtr and alll you get in a good deal there tself..so dont carry those and waste the baggage weight..instead pick 1 or 2 of each variety just for the initial servings...mean time you can settle and get there itself..

instead carry home-made chilli powder, rasam powder, idli podi,pickle etc (from your mom:))...

also pick a very little quantity of rice,toor dhal, tamarind, garlic, pepper powder, jeera powder, asafoetida, mustard seeds, small oil packet for making dhall,sambar or rasam in the intial days..take them in ziploc to save space(pack well)..go there and transfer in plastic containers or anything you find..

pack stuffs like thermometer,general medicines,vicks,inhaler and so on..also carry all certificates and reports regarding health and studies of you people..

here itself register an account in craigslist and sulekha kind of websites...many indians and others shifting to and fro will be selling their goods @ a cheaper rate..you can keep in track and purchase them..even rental house deals can be finalised before you move on..craigslist is the best friend for people like us...

in edison i guess you can find houses for 1.2k to 1.4k per month....many idians will be there..in this forum itself you can find more friends..speak out ...keep yourself updated..we are there to help you..feel free to ask anything any time...take care..:cheers..bye for now:hiya

1 person likes this.
  9. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Hi,

When i came down to US, we had got mixie, few vessels, chapathi roller, masala items, god idols, few bed spreads to start off with, few light weight plates, sweaters, pickeles, ghee, medicines, ice cooker (3 ltrs), gaskets, etc...

Cheers,
    Pandu

10. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi poornima,

As one of our friend had quoted gasket for cooker is an important thing...other than the regular have 2 spares(whether you use it or not)....likewise for our eye glasses(specs) too have a spare for sure...those are all available in US still they are unnecessary expenses..ordinary stainless steel tumblers(for kids) are very rare so pick few of them...

will update if something else flashes