1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Can anybody help me for finding ragi in USA

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by meenuvarma, Nov 9, 2009.

1. meenuvarma

meenuvarma New IL'ite

hi sriniketan

I tried in Patel Brothers.They told now the whole raagi is not coming....

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Meenu, if that is the case, right now,and if you doesn't need it right away, ask anybody who comes from India to bring it with them.:idea
    Have you checked with any online Indian stores regarding the same?

Sriniketan

3. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Hi Tina,

Hey I did not know that ragi is millet. Would have saved me some money had I known this earlier. Better late than never:).

Btw, I think the reason could be that most Indians look for the powder is because most Indian recipes are based on the flour as opposed to the grain and that there are no ready amenities to grind them into flour. Btw how do you use millet.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

BeeAmma:
    You can buy the yellow millet and the millet flour at health food stores. Lately in my local stores they are selling Bob's in packages and I think it is over priced (organic). I try to find millet in bulk where you can get it for like $.50 a pound. All the non-gluten folks like the flour but of course it is heavy for cooking. As for the grain, just do the rice cooker stanard: 1 c grain to 2 c waters and cook it there. I find that boiled millet with a little butter is very good after you have been sick and can't take on complex foods yet.

At the ayurvedic center I was at some years ago, the chef told me that the Indian farmers would take millet flour, curd, cut up onion as a quickie meal. (You probably know that.) Interestingly, roasted and ground barley flour is what the Tibetans call tsampa and is the basic food of tibetans. They mix it with salted butter tea and you can eat it with some curry or pickle or mix in cheese and very very useful to carry when camping (or any other nomadic like activity). Similar use of a flour.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for that question BeeAmma...and thanks a lot for that reply, Tina.
    Let me try that yellow millet soon..
    We tried it once, long time back..but it had a little bit nutty taste.

sriniketan