1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody else had swine flu?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by tashidelek2002, Oct 22, 2009.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I started a course the beginning of October and the woman next to me on the first day coughed on me for six hours and we also had class in the local college computer center. By Wednesday I was sick and according to the news the only thing going around in our area is H1N1. I had all the symptoms from the news....little vomitting, little diarrhea, lots of mucus and coughing, fever and chills.....was house bound for about six days. I am not in the age range that is most at risk and I found that although I was sick, I have been much sicker with other flus, food poisoning, etc.

Anyone else who has had it and what has been your experience?

2. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Tina;
    Sorry to hear about it.
    Our family doc told me on my visit to India, that swine flu is not a fatal form of flu. He told, in case I catch it, to 1. Drink lot of fluid 2. Good diet and 3. Lot of rest. It seems these three, along with medicine is suffice to treat swine flu.
    Get well soon.
    -Nitha

3. tashidelek2002

Nitha:
    I am fine now. I treated myself with Chinese herbs, jala neti, some zinc, and Unani cough drops. All were helpful.

Thanks for the good wishes.

4. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Wow Tina.. natural doc, eh?? Should be in touch with you to get awesome advices I guess..

Happy to hear that you are better now.. !!! Take Care

5. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Hey Tina,
    Glad you are feeling better now... Your doc must be amazing not to put you on Tamiflu!!

The guy who sits next to me in my college was down with Swine Flu it seems .. He came to class last tuesday and i was literally freaking out every second!!! I started feeling Chills(just feel!!!) ... But then we all told the proffessor we were not comfortable with him around without proper doctor approvals.. So i guess it should be safe to go to school again!!!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  6. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Tina,
    You are brave....Glad that you are well..Do you have alternative treatment for all ailments?Just wanted to know..

7. tashidelek2002

Cutepavi:
    I didn't go to the doc.....$20 copay and it would have been $80 for the Tamiflu. I was sick but not sick enough to go out, and then go to pharmacy and pay out all that money (my budget really tight right now) when I did not feel at risk. Instead Chinese herbs $5, neti couple pennies of salt, Unani cough drops Rs 60 per 100. You live long enough in USA you will hesitate to go to the doc for a variety of reasons.

Supriya:
    I use alternative treatments as much as possible but not for everything. I also have a good Chinese OD that I use when necessary. Also a firm believer in the benefits of chiropractic.

8. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

HI,
    It is good to hear that you avoided going to the doctor. You are brave.

Supriya,
    Take amla to strengthen your immune system and to fight against the viruses. I got amla juice from Indian grocery and used to mix one spoon with regular juice to my DD once a week.

9. Durgadevii

Durgadevii New IL'ite

hi all,
    my 2 yr old daughter and myself landed usa 3 days back only.I am ery sad to say that my sweety pie is suffering with the flu...Its very tough to see her suffering she s developing high temp every 4 hrs,having chest congestion with wet cough...she tells us tat she s having throat pain also(poor she...)we are giving her TYLINOL & IBUPROFIN as per doctors advise.

we have joined 2gether after a month(my hubby came last month itself) and we cud nt enjoy with the fullest .My hubby d myself hopes tat she ll recover soon...

And we r surprised all of sudden how she got developed with this coz she was good when we started from INDIA.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  10. Durgadevii

Durgadevii New IL'ite

hi Tina,
    My 2 yr old daughter is suffering from Swine Flu past 2 days(we landed usa 3 days back only).Can u give me some tips to control the effects r tips to recover soon.. its ery bad to see her sick ...