1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Birthday gift for fiance in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by SimpleGirl, Oct 20, 2009.

1. SimpleGirl

SimpleGirl Gold IL'ite

Hello friends,
    My fiance's birthday is on Nov 3rd.. he is in US currently and will return only by end of Nov.. I am totally confused about what to gift him..
    Initially he was supposed to be India by that time.. so I got a watch and some Shirts for him. But then his plan got postponed..Sending these items by courier would be very costly and time consuming too..I guess buying something online and getting it shipped to his place would be better. But I am not sure what exactly should I gift? Please suggest me somthing ...
    Also please let me know reliable shopping sites in USA

Thanks,
    SG

2. sandu

sandu Bronze IL'ite

Dear SimpleGirl,
    Do you like to send real gifts or gift cards from common supermakets like Target and Walmart? You order a coupon worth some dollars from such stores to be sent to his address along with a bday message. He can use the card to pay for his shopping at these supermarkets. Problem is some of these sites process payment only if you have a credit card from US (i mean, with US address). There should be sites which allow you to pay using your Indian credit card; dont know exactly. Actually, there are Indian websites like sifymall, rediff, etc which allow you to pay using any credit card and also Indian bank account. I know rediff has an option to send gifts to US.

I m sure you will get many more replies here with info about US shopping websites. Good luck!
    Sandhya

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  3. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

hii
    ur post brought back memories to me:)

i had sent my Dh(then fiance) gifts(shirt/wallet) through courier.
    i thought it was the best thing to do.

ofocurse,i paid almost 1500Rs for the courier alone. but,in my opinion was worth it since i was sure wat i was sending him instead of relying on websites. i am not used to online shopping actually.

so,if u have already bought gifts try contacting DHL/speedpost /DTDC to check rates for US etc.
    if u use DTDC they wil ship ur parcel in 5-6 working days(no extra payment). i had used DTDC almost 3-4 times wen in india to send parcels /docs to my fiance in US
    or else,lets wait for some more users to give u options on internet shopping

Neha s

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  4. kinjal

kinjal Bronze IL'ite

Is he a coffee lover? may be you can gift him coffe mug printed with your favrioute photos. you can find it on walmart site and they will ship to his address in usa.

5. mlk2009

mlk2009 Bronze IL'ite

6. sillygurl

sillygurl Senior IL'ite

Hi

How abt sending a bouquet of flowers / fruit platter. I have seen colleagues getting those kinda gifts for their b'days / anniversaries etc....Send that to his work place and give him a pleasant surprise.

Good Luck!

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Many sites now also use Paypal which is a method that I like.

If he like electronics (what guy doesn't?) I have found J&R to be fast and reliable. www.jr.com

8. SimpleGirl

SimpleGirl Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions.
    I have ordered 2 t-shirts from American Eagle.. and wil also get cake and flowers delivered to his place.

Thanks,
    SG

9. omshanti

omshanti New IL'ite

what does he like? Try amazon.com If he likes books then maybe barnesandnobles.com or borders.com if you arent sure what he will like then you can always buy him a gift card from any stores like target, gap(for clothing), macys (department store) etc or flowers through proflowers.com
    Also, just wishing him plain happy birthday counts too..the thought matters :))
    All the best!

10. retina

retina New IL'ite

maybe your presence