1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Which parcel service is good for sending LCD TV to India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by jaydevi, Oct 7, 2009.

1. jaydevi

jaydevi New IL'ite

Hi to all,

Can anyone tell me which parcel service is good and cheap to send the TV to India.

2. mahakumar

mahakumar Senior IL'ite

Oh my GOD, I came here to ask the exact same question and see this thread ...

My inlaws are here and I want to substitute one suitcase with a LCD tv and send it when they leave. If we take insurance and pack it well will that work ?
    Or should be ship it separately through air or water ?

Has anyone sent it to India and how much did it cost, how long it took to reach and was it without any damage ?

Also get a surge protector for uniform power supply since India has terrible fluctuations. How is the LCD from US work in India..

ANyone know anything please reply

3. Abhirami

Abhirami New IL'ite

Hey, You need to check with the store whether the TV is NTSC or PAL. Indian TVs are PAL and an NTSC TV will not work there. Or at least that is what my understanding is. Find out more about this before making an expensive purchase.

4. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

This is little different from the above topic. Posting here as dont want to open a new one.

Can any of you tell me the charges on sending packages from India to U.S. through courier like Fedex and is there any other option to send edibles/dresses to U.S.from India?? Pls share yr personal ideas/experiences..

Thanks and expecting a few answers atleast.

Rgds.

5. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

Mahakumar,

I really don't know how to send an LCD TV to India, but I just dropped in here to say that sending it packed in a suitcase doesn't sound like a good idea. Have you ever seen how baggage handlers treat your suitcases? They throw them around everywhere. I hope you find a way out soon.

Ami,

We use Fedex too whenever we want to send something from India to US. You could call up or ask your family members to call up their local Fedex office in India to know the charges. The rates are usually based on the weight of the package and the distance it has to travel. Also find out if there is any kind of foodstuff that is not allowed to be shipped.

6. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

thanks for yr reply..actually, one of my friend who use to send was telling that it costs Rs.400 per kilo, whereas when i checked online, it said Rs.2000/- per kilo. So, got confused and thought of double checking it with someone instead of getting into it directly.

7. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

It is not a good idea to send the TV in Suitcase.Many small electronics items are missing in suitcases if we check in.Probably Shipping with insurance is a good option.

8. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Hello friends,

I strongly recommend that you check the prices of LCD's in India before you buy & ship out.

The prices have come down in India as well.

Calculate your cost of LCD + Freight cost + Insurance + Special Packing + Duty and compare to that in India.

It will be a marginal difference but you will have the warranty in India & there are no risks related to shipping.

It's just my opinion.

9. auserid8

auserid8 Senior IL'ite

Hi Ami,

I am not sure of Fedex,but our Indian postal service also delivers stuff to the US. Recently my parents sent me some edible items from CBE. Cant actually remember the weight of the parcel, but it costed them approx. 1000Rs. It did have alot of things. It took me 2 weeks to get them. If you opt for posting it with a tracking number,looks like you can track the package till it crosses India border,after which you cant trace.
    But it surely did reach me. So try it by sending a small amount.

-Vanitha

10. NAYA

NAYA Senior IL'ite

You can try DHL also to ship from India to US ,I don't have idea on edible things , but can get dresses as my inlaws had sent some dresses to my kids through the DHL and in one week i recieved it.