1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Organic Poultry

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by priyamuthu, Sep 11, 2009.

1. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

Can u pls tell me where u ladies get organic poultry. i dont remember seeing in the shops that i normally visit. has anyone seen anywhere?
    Priya

2. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

whole foods will definetly have it.. its usually marked organic on the plastic.. and pls be aware that some desis will tell you halal meat is organic, totally different concept..:bonk

3. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

Yes MrsV, even my friend told me that halal meat is the good one. In organic section, i could see only the veggies, milk, butter etc, but no meat. let me try in whole foods.
    Priya

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Just look in the meat section of big grocery chain. Up here I get at Price Chopper so try King Soopers if that is in Texas. That section will be much smaller than the regular chicken section. They will have the packs marked in some special way.

5. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Priya

In addition to the places mentioned by Tashidelek and Mrs V, you can also get organic meat at farmer's markets and your local co-op (an independent grocery store that sells natural products). Just be aware that while organic foods are touted as healthier than non-organic choices, they are also often more expensive.

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

One thing about organic in USA: to say you are organic means you have to do a certain program of things for 7 years and be inspected etc. This is time consuming and expensive for small producers. In the store or from a coop or farmer, if the item is not marked organic doesn't mean that it isn't organic. As an example, my neighbors all have gardens that they are doing organic and I can get veggies from them but they are not certified organic. I mention this as if you can find a brand that you feel is clean, good quality, etc you might want to buy that at a lower price. A reputable suppier will have a good product. (But don't assume that a well known name is ok as they may subcontract etc etc. Better to do your research etc.)

7. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Has any one tried organic egg?Does it taste better than regular ones?

8. monapaul

monapaul New IL'ite

hi supriya i buy only organic chicken and eggs thay are far better than the other ,,,especially from wholefoods,in wegmans, acme.... u ve to look for organic brands. i too had experience withchicken and eggs due to to the kinda of poultry smell ... tho its bit costlier ,but u can better health.

9. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

10. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

i have tried it, we don't eat much eggs, i use for baking and coating and stuff, so its I couldn't tell the difference :hide: but I do by organic milk! I have to drink a glass of milk everyday :rant and I just tried the organic milk once since it was on sale and what a difference! :crazy Cannot switch back!