1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Sweets and pickels from india through Fedex or any other service

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by madhurisatya, Sep 11, 2009.

1. madhurisatya

madhurisatya Silver IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I just want to know whether is it allowed to get sweets and pickels through fedex package service from India to US.If that is fine, my parents want to send few items.Was in cofusion whether it is allowed or not.

If anyone got like that please let me know.Which service you have used and price details too.

2. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Once my mother sent the home made sweets through Postal service itself if I remember correctly. enquire in post office where international service is available. I remember the rate also per kg Rs900

Sujatha.

3. snowshiva

snowshiva Senior IL'ite

yes, it is possible to send thru courier...its is better to send thru Indian postel service (speed post).
    sweets are okay but pickle, make sure that you pack it well, otherwise, they may smell them and stop them at customs.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

These are going to be very expensive sweets and pickles...best get gold plates now for serving......:biglaugh

5. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Madhuri, IMHO getting sweets and pickles from India through post is an expensive option. My mother sends me multigrain porridge powder, dresses and other special powder during diwali time. She usually pays around 2000 - 2500 for everything. Again it depends on the weight. I guess pickle might ooze out oil, plus they sometimes hold it if they scan it through agricultural inspection. See if you have any other option available like getting it home-made from some one or asking some friends or relatives who are traveling to US to bring little quantity (I did for some friends) if you badly need them.

-Uma

6. lovleenkhurana

lovleenkhurana New IL'ite

Hi,

I believe sending sweets and pickles through courier company or may be the postal services is an expensive option . The charges are based on the weight of the items and if you pack the pickle in a bottle or jar that weight will also be counted. So , I feel it is better to have them personally delivered through some friends or relatives traveling to US.

Regards,
    lovleen

7. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Milk Sweets are not allowed in fedex.Other sweets can be sent through fedex/normal one.
    Pickles might not be allowed nowadays as it will leak.

8. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

Madhuri
    Fedex will prove to be very costly for you. See if the sweets or misc items can be sent through air cargo.I have got things like that and you get your stuff in a quick 4 days.Its rs 200 per kg and once it reaches US, you have to pay some amount too..dont remember exactly now. Any dam thing can be sent through it.Grinder, snacks,powders et all.Avoid fedex as its costly and also air cargo is 100% safe.

1 person likes this.